Thread: Are Energy Drinks OK?

Question Are Energy Drinks OK?

Hi everyone,

This is probably a really ridiculous question, but I was wondering if energy drinks like Red Bull, V and even Berocca are ok to have while you are pregnant? I work night shifts (12 hour ones) and I often have a Berocca as a pick me up if I start to feel a little bit fatigued. Can you help me out :biggrin:

From memory Red Bull and V have a lot of caffeine in them. I'm not sure if they have any other 'nasties'. Just something to remember if you are also going to have coffee, chocolate etc. Too much caffeine isn't recommended in pg.

Berocca is fine but don't overdo it. Red Bull should be avoided

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Red Bull and V have guarana in them, which isnt recommended in pregnancy.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Smile

Lis, thanks for your info. Should of realised about the caffeine content!! Just say I had a brain fart LOL!!

Alan, thanks for letting me know about the Berocca. Was worried even about drinking that after reading and realising about the caffeine content in the drinks. So I should be able to have one tonight if I need to?

1 a nught is fine. I don't think that it has any caffeine in it. I think its just vitamins and ascorbic acid. But just check the label

Hi Neatisme
    No, none of those drinks are good while you are pregnant.... V, Recharge, Red bull. HAD NO EXPERIENCE WITH BEROCCA
    I had to give up V when I fel pregnant... I was drinking one every morning so when I got off them I suffered these really bad headaches.... caffine withdrawals!! he he

I am now the proud mum of my 3 month old (today) little man and I made the mistake of having a recharge (sprite) thing over the holidays!! Well it went straight through me and then it took 24 hours to make it to my milk and my poor baby!!! he had the worst fart pains I have ever seen him have!!!!he just screamed and screamed.... then did the most volcanic poo ever!!!!

So dont drink them if you are BF either!! My poor little man learnt the hard way there!!

good luck with your pregnancy!

ej_1974 Guest

If you're feeling low on energy, maybe you should try eating more green vegetables, exercising and drinking loads of water. I don't think Berocca can do any harm but I would definitely stay off drinks with caffeine. Also you might want to try a pg supplement like Elevit which will help pick up your energy levels and is also good for your baby (it's known to reduce birth defects). I love my Berocca too…take it every day but during pg I also take Elevit for the extra vitamins for the baby.
    Most of all though, take it easy, stress less! Take care!

It actually says on the Red Bull cans "Not to be had by small children, pg and breatfeeding women" (or something similar).

That's what is says on sports drinks too.