Thread: Exciting/fun ideas of how to break it to parents......

Lightbulb Exciting/fun ideas of how to break it to parents......

How did you break the good news to your parents and parents in law?

Any fun/witty ideas / stories?

My parents: I had to drop out of my cousin's hen party and didn't want to announce my pregnancy, so I said I'd had a blood test that had revealed a hormone imbalance and my GP arranged for me to have a scan next week, I'd know more then. My mum started nagging for what it was, so I told her my prolactin was elevated, but only slightly, at five hundred and something; I've seen prolactin levels a hundred times my amount with my work. I am not ill, I'm fine, just a slight imbalance and I have to be a bit careful with myself right now. It is quite normal, I'm not worried, and it will correct itself in time. She then read up on prolactinomas on the internet and was so happy when I said it was a baby not a brain tumour post-scan. This is a great tactic if your parents may be unhappy about being grandparents and one I wish I hadn't had to use!

My in-laws, we went round for a visit and DH talked about everything under the sun (films, TV, what was happening at the weekend...) before saying, 40 minutes later, "oh, by the way, Ryn's pregnant." It would have been longer if he and his dad weren't going to fix the computer in the study two seconds later. But it did give MiL a chance to talk baby with me... not that she ever needed the excuse!

I bought baby photo frames and then put inside a card that read reserved for your grandchild due August 2007. We wrapped them and gave them as Christmas presents.

Parents thought it was great and now have the frames on display. Its a nice talking point for parents when they have visitors.

When we were telling the girls about Riley (they were 14 and 6) we said we have a video to show you and played our 8 week ultrasound vid. Jess said "is that what I think it is?" and we said yes its a baby, its your baby brother or sister and they were both very excited. You could adapt this to parents, if you have an 8 week ultrasound anyway!

We got a newborn bib and tied it around our fur baby's (dog) neck with a message...

"guess who is going to be a big brother?"

We knew that our dog would greet my parents at the door when they came over for dinner that night!

It was wonderful!

My parents: Xmas Day got there late and said 'Sorry we are late I had morning sickness"

In Laws: Xmas card with from Gemma, DH & ? - well the correct names were used of course!

Try sending them a baby balloon from the florist. Or you could get a tape of the heartbeat and play it for them. Or maybe, wear one of those shirts that says "I'm baking" or "bun in the oven" or something like that. Or send an ultrasound piccie to them. I took a photo of my postive test and was going to stick it to my mums door to see when she came home. She beat me back to her place so instead I casually left it hanging out of my bag and she grabbed it and screamed.

Bridee - I love the idea of a photo frame with the card inside saying reserved.

On the day we got our BFP (sat) we were going car shopping anyway and ended up buying one. We picked the car up on the following Monday and drove it around to the familys houses. Pulled up in their driveway and rang them from the mobile. When they answered I said 'Whos awesome car is that in the driveway? Looks great' When they looked out front to see who it was then we waved at them from the car. After they got over that, we told them the reason we got a new (better and safer) car was because we wanted our baby to be protected. It took them a few seconds to sink in but they got it in the end.

WOW what fantastically unique ways of telling your folks. That is great and has given me a few more ideas on how we can do this. So far mum thinks I am flying over to visit and we are keeping it a secret I am coming. But boy will she get a surprise when I turn up with DH and then later slip the news in with general conversation around dinner.
    That is what is going to happen if I don't think of anything more exciting.

Keep the stories coming!!! yeah!

Katie, with the car shopping, DH and I were asked by the salesman why we were selling the sports car. I just looked at him, patted the bump and said because it didn't have three seats.

Slightly spoilt the excitement by being 7m pg at that point. Would have been more exciting in the early days LOL.

Ryn
    Some people ask the most stupid of questions don't they. I suppose he didn't want to hurt your feelings if it wasn't a preggie bump.
    My DH when car shopping would reach into the back seat of the cars from the drivers seat to make sure that he could reach the 'baby'.
    Funny stuff...

I got my dad a card for Christmas that read 'Merry Christmas Poppy' on the front. And on the inside I wrote 'Merry Christmas Poppy, Pop, Grandad.....well we can decide in 9 months' Love Eggbert Egginson.
    It took him a while to cop on!

Although I'm not yet pregnant (but TTC), I've actually drafted a "birth" day party invitation (from my baby) to Grandma and Poppy (my Mum and Dad) which will be held at the ...... Hospital on or around the 9th November 2007.

9th nov is my b/day! yay what a good day to have it. whooooo

With both parents we just gave the very happy phone call.
    With my DD, i found out about the pg 3 weeks before her 12th birthday, she had wanted a baby sister or brother for a long time time so we thought it would be cute and a very happy surprise if we told her on her b/day. In the morning DP woke her up to into the room to collect all her presents, we told her after she'd opened them all that there would be another after school.
    I had brought a beautiful birthday card which on the front said "to a special sister" i just put in a arrow and wrote "BIG" between special and sister. Inside i wrote a little poem about her finally getting the birthday wish she'd always wanted and about being a big sister etc. (it rymed) She was so wrapped!! She still has the card.

cassie82 Guest

I was visiting my parents & hadn't planned on telling them the day I did.. I offered to make them coffee then wondered aloud if their new grandchild would be a coffee or tea drinker.. They stared at me for a moment before it registered.. Now, I wonder if my folks aren't just a little more excited than I am lol