Thread: Exercise - when is it too much?

Smile Exercise - when is it too much?

Hello ladies,

I found out I'm preggars yesterday. Can't explain how excited I am.

I thought this forum would be a good point to start asking some questions that I have. I have always been really fit - I run up to 30km a week, swim 9km a week, and gym three times a week - but now I'm unsure of what is ideal for the first trimester.

Are sit-ups out? Should I still be pushing myself at the gym? When is enough enough?

Do you ladies still exercise? I used to see a pregnant woman run with her husband each morning here in Bondi and I often wondered if it was okay for her to be doing so.

Thanks!

xx

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy

Basically you are allowed to continue with your normal exercise regime providing you're comfortable and you avoid high risk activities such as skiing but remember now is not the time to takeup new sports, increase your weights at the gym, etc. You should keep your heart rate at 140 or less - that's really important. You also need to be careful that you don't overheat - very dangerous for you and bubs. Try to slow down if you're starting to feel tired too - don't overdo it.

I thought situps were a no-go while pregnant so I stopped doing them as soon as I got my BFP (which probably explains why my back is playing up already!) but my OB assured me situps are fine (and have been all along - doh!) but I will soon find out that my belly just won't allow them - LOL!

I was so sick and severely tired during the first trimester that I struggled to exercise at all. It's only now that I'm feeling better that I'm getting back into my walking and I'm starting yoga and aqua aerobics this week too. There are a few exercise gurus on BB so hopefully a couple of them pop in to give you some more advice on specific activities.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    Basically you are allowed to continue with your normal exercise regime providing you're comfortable and you avoid high risk activities such as skiing but remember now is not the time to takeup new sports, increase your weights at the gym, etc. You should keep your heart rate at 140 or less - that's really important. You also need to be careful that you don't overheat - very dangerous for you and bubs. Try to slow down if you're starting to feel tired too - don't overdo it.
    Very very well said

swimming and anything in water is a good exercise to do with pregnant.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your feedback!

x

hi carney,
    i'm nearly in the same boat as you, particularly with the running...

how are you going with it? what is your routine now? much modified?

i did a 4ker and a 3ker as well as some walking but found I am just sooooo tired i couldn't do my usual 8k. the thought makes me sleepy. ireally wanted to be super fit and healthy through preg, but the 4ker nearly killed me... and i was only shuffling. and i'm only 5wks along! argh.

i think so long as you don't overheat and stop when you need to you are fine.

but for me, i'll keep a few gently ks a week in my routine but will be hitting the pool mostly, which isn't my favourite activity but i just have to bite the bullet, especially since i have back problems.

i'd love to hear what/how you've adjusted,

Hallo Grub17! I was going to message you on our other link but this will do!

I have just got back from our honeymoon so have to say have been very slack with exercising anyway. But, when I did go to run I found it very difficult. Not only did my heartrate skyrocket (I used my HR monitor to check) but I started getting cramps within 3km. I can only jog now.

I'm back into my usual routine tomorrow. Got the gym in the morning and then will go to swim squad. I think from now on I'll jog/walk every second day now. We'll have to see how it all goes.

Do you swim? I have heard of women swimming right up until the birth. I'd like to think I can do the same!

xx

thanks for your quick reply. congrats on your wedding!

yep i swam at state and national level as a teenager and it's a real mental block for me to get in and just swim to enjoy. plus i don't find it a challenge unless i've got set session with speed and heartwork, and someone to pace off. bbrrh. very competitive. but i suppose when my belly gets big enough that i can't do tumble turns, that'll be a shock... lol.

that's why i love running so much, there's no pressure.

but running is so tough on your body and i'm worried about taking anything away from the bubs.

my first run after BFP i ran with my HR monitor and kept it below 140bpm... omg that was the worst run as i was going so slow that it really wasn't enjoyable. but i read on aust sports medicine website not to worry about HR unless you know a lot about it and know all the ins and outs of your own HR before preg.

the next run i did at the end of a walk with the dog and felt really good. it was only about 2km

the next day i did 3km by myself and slow again. i felt tired, i was aiming for 4 or 5km but had to stop. but wasn't too worried was just glad to run. then went home and slept for 2 hours! lol.

so i'm just going to take it gently, i've also got a treadmill at home so might do some walking on incline as well.

i think it's all about gauging how you are feeling. but gee it's hard when you've got the running bug LOL.

Yeah, I agree. Just go with how you're feeling.

If we're finding it tough now imagine us in a few months time with our big bellies! ahahaha.