Thread: Finding it hard to exercise???

Slippy Guest

Default Finding it hard to exercise???

I know all the books say how it is really important and beneficial to exercise during pregnancy, but being in the first tri, I am either sick, tired, hungry or all at once! I am usually an avid exerciser but am struggling to find the energy & motivation to get by each day. I am worried that all that hard work I put in before being pregnant has gone out the window, it is really depressing me.
    I am just hoping the 2nd tri is as great as make out and I will be able to hit the pavement and gym again.
    Just wanted to know how everyone else is feeling and how they manage to fit exercise in in the first tri, and if the second tri gave them that bust of energy and vitality the books all talk about.

I'm not a very good exerciser at any time. I've grabbed a couple of dvd's of exercise while pg, but am yet to put it on. Like you, first tri it was hard to get motivated to do -anything- let alone exercise! I'm hoping once my headaches settle I'll be feeling good enuf to start getting a bit more active.

I'm sure all the exercise you have done in the past will benefit you regardless. Your body will let you know when it's ready to exercise I'm sure. Just remember that exercise during pg shouldn't be too strenuous anyway, I think more than anything we're just encouraged to stay active.. walking etc.

I was pretty fit & working out regularly prior to falling pregnant.
    The first 2 times I went to the gym once I was pregnant were followed by small (but apparently unrelated to the exercise) amounts of bleeding.

It was enough to freak me out though, so apart from walking, I didn't do much other exercise until after my 18 week ultrasound. I wish I had though, that way maybe I wouldn't have out on 18 kilos by 33 weeks!

I've found swimming & watermums/aquamums classes to be great, have been doing these for about 15 weeks now.

*hides head* I was an irish dancer before I fell pregnant and had planned to continue this (my GP had said it was fine) through til 4 months or so. I only went to one class after I was 4wks pregnant because I was just so sick. When I finally got over the bad M/S, I went to an adult class because I msised it so much....I think I gave Maddy concussion! *LOL* 8-[

Basically, I have done nothing even vaguely athletic since I fell pregnant. I get dizzy when I'm on my feet for longer than like 15mins, but I have always had low blood sugar & pressure.

Cannot wait until after bubs is born so I can get back into dancing or to the gym....something! *L*

Hi there All

Have you thought about doing some Pregnancy Yoga - I've taken this up and although I wasn't very active prior to pregnancy - I find that doing this has kept me flexible and I have only put on 3kgs so far....having said that - i probably needed to lose 30kg before hand.... 8-[ besides you leave the class floating and believe it or not muscles still hurt the next day....but not to the point of agony

Dianna

slippy - i know how you are feeling. i had gained a lot of fitness before falling pg, then in the first tri, i just couldnt do anything, for all the reasons you mentioned.

but dont despair. you should feel so much better once you get into second tri. i have been walking and swimming every day since about 18 weeks, and although it is a lot less intense than before pg, i really feel i have regained a lot of my former fitness, and plan to get back to how i was later on too.

just try to rest and not worry about it too much, your body will tell you when it is ready to start picking up again. but i cant recommend swimming enough - it feels so good, especially when you start to get heavy and uncomfortable,

all the best,

Linda

Slippy Guest

Thank you all for your feedback and kind support, it’s great to hear that I am not the only one that is faced with this dilemma! It is just hard to go from being really active and motivated to suddenly tired and lethargic and with the m/s making me as hungry as an ox all the time, I’m afraid if I recommenced my exercise regime I would have to take out a second job to support my eating habit! :bellyrub: