Thread: Finding out sex at 12-13 week ultrasound??

Default Finding out sex at 12-13 week ultrasound??

I was just curious on how many women were able to find out the sex of their baby at their 12 week ultrasound? I am having my ultrasound next week and am hoping that they will be able to see the sex. I am getting so excited till next week. Every development always gives you peace of mind that everything is ok.

Linda

Hey Linda, as far as I know you have to wait until your next scan between 18-20 weeks to determine the sex.

Correct me if Im wrong someone?

Hey Linda,
    sex determination is possible at 12 weeks if done by a tech who is experienced in early gender determination.

Studies have shown that if they are experienced technitions, at around 12 weeks gest are close to 100% correct for gender determination. But these techs have been primarily doing gender determinations rather than general sonography.

HTH's
    Tanya

My SIL found out she was having a boy at 12 weeks (and she also knows of someone else who found out then too). I think the actual genitals are too small or underdeveloped to see but supposedly the facing of the pelvis can determine the sex. If the pelvis is pointing upwards it's mean to be a boy, down and likey to be a girl. They were accurate with my SIL so you maybe you can ask. I'm gonna try this time around

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Aleida - I actually asked the sex of my baby at the 13 week scan and was told we were having a girl, as I already had a boy I was really excited to have one of each!

However at my 20 week scan I was told it was a boy, and needless to say it was a boy, so I was quite dissappointed. Next time round I am not even going to bother asking till the 20 week scan!

I guess it is possible but how much you could really rust it is another thing. I think it would be terrible if they said Boy and then next scan says definatley a Girl, you know what I mean! I would try and wait it out for the 18 week scan if you can, just so you know that what they tell you will most likley be much more correct.

I can feel your excitedment already!

Soul

NewmumLou Guest

I am Raes SIL that found out the sex of my baby. Its true, if the pelvis is facing up its a boy if it is facing down, a girl. Most ultrasound placing a scared of saying as sometimes the pelvis is in between and it can either be a boy or girl... Good luck in finding out!

i found out at 14 weeks that we are having a boy and was confirmed at the 20 week scan also.good luck.
    nikki

Hey girls it isn't the actual pelvis that faces upwards it is the Phallus or nub... if the phallus is angled at 30o+ it is a boy, 30o- it is a girl. The later the gestation the verticle boys will be or the more horizontal girls will be.

I hope that made sence... ??

Tanya

JadeTara Guest

This is so interesting, at my 12 week scan we asked the sonographer if he could see what we were having yet. He told us that he could have a go and then tell us more accuratley at our 19wk scan, so we were in the mood for a bit of fun we told him sure go ahead we can check out how good you are! Well, he says with 65% certainty that he thinks we are having a boy based on a "protrusion" between the legs that he showed us. And although baby girls at 12 wks can also look similair he said that the lump was a bit bigger.
    So we will see how good he is at 19 wks. We have been saying he and him when talking about the baby but if it turns out we are having a girl thats fine too.
    Hope they can telll you, its exciting.

Fire Fly Guest

I had a scan at 13 weeks with #2 and found out then that he was a he. But the sonographer said its best to confirm at the 30 weeks scan. As it was i had to have monthly scans so i just kept checking, Lol.

If they tell you I'd take it as an indication, not as gospel.
    My OBs had a look at 14 weeks just for kicks and thought this baby was a girl. I knew it was too early to know for sure and at my 19 wks scan we found out we're having a boy. To do it again, I wouldn't ask as early and I'd wait until the big scan when it can be seen clearly.

I was told i was possibly having a girl with this pregnancy, Well i had my 18 week scan on Thursday and i am definately having a BOY. So with the next one i am going to wait till the 18 week scan to know for sure.
    Goodluck and its not that far till your 18 weeks so try and hold out to buy clothing till you know for sure, as i am so glad i didnt buy pink clothing now!!
    Jenni

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We found out at 24 weeks that we were having a boy and our sonographer was correct.