Thread: First Appointment @ Mater - what to expect?

Default First Appointment @ Mater - what to expect?

I have my first appointment with Mater Mothers Hospital tomorrow, and the letter advises to allow 1.5 - 2 hours... what should I expect?

I'm taking along medical records so I know we'll have to go over those, and my prior pregnancies...

But being a new country I have no idea on what happens here.

They'll take your history, goes into quite a lot of detail. They'll discuss any concerns that you have, you do the Edinburgh test for AND, go through your choices for care (obstetric, midwifery, shared care with GP, trial programs etc) then you get measured and Dopplered. You get your Bounty bag, and away you go!

Good luck. You'll love it.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

My first apt at the Mater was over in 45min lol I got thre about 10min earlier and was in before my alotted time.
    They did family histories and that was it. She only took my BP cause i asked her too becuase of passing out the day before.
    They asked me what sort of care i wanted, gave me a bounty bag and out i went. If you can get the Bus do it. Parking is a joke and is VERY expensive.
    if i can give you 1 piece of advice. DONT LEAVE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT CARE YOU ARE GETTING. I live out of the area for the midwifery group practice and have no idea what im getting

I had my first appointment there last week. Not to discourage you but I was there for 4.5 hours lol. But I had to see the middies, then the OB, then make 4 scan appointments, I was over and done with the middies in about 40 minutes. They took super detailed info on me, dh and dd, BP, weight and discussed care options. I am doing shared care, so not going back to see the middies and OB until 36 weeks, unless there are abnormal scan results....it did cost me $20 to park though! I have found them to be fantastic at MMH though

I'm expecting it to take a while to go over prior pregnancies as I got extremely sick after my last son from my c-section... but 4.5 hours??? good lord at least my partner is actually away with work and won't be attending this appointment (he would have preferred to have been there) but at least he won't miss too much work.

Perhaps I should jot down bullet points of my prior pregnancies as not to miss anything.

My first appointment, we were there for 2 hours. I got a history taken by a student midwife then had to stay and talk to the head midwife about what care pathway to go down. They got a bit twitchy when they found out that the pregnancy was IVF so I ended up seeing an Ob (and the same one!) through all my appointments.

They're great there though, I really liked them.
    Sue xx