Thread: First Hospital Visit

Default First Hospital Visit

I have my 1st hospital (Dandenong Public) appointment next Tuesday and am wondering what to expect? Anything to get excited about (possible u/s, bounty bag)?!

Thanks,
    Jess

On our first hospital Appt, they gave us the bounty bag (although I have heard different hospitals do give them out at different times). I got shown what I would need to do at the start of each appt (weigh, check urine etc). Then we got a tour of the hospital, the L&D rooms, the wards, NICU etc.

It is very exciting I loved my first hospital visit!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Jess, thought I would let you know that two of my girlfriends had their babies at Dandenong Hospital and they thought it was great.

One had a natural birth, the other had an emergency C-section. Both thought the level of care etc from the nurses were great. They both went through private OB though so can't help with your actual question. Just wanted to let you know.

Good Luck!

I got my bounty bag on the first visit to my hospital

Rest of the appointment was weight/urine check run thru of general medical stuff etc etc. It is a lengthly appointment but pretty boring in all. I got a form to have my first u/sound didn't have it happen right then and there, I was in my 1st Tri though (10wks)

Love :smt049

Iris, I am quite excited about your reply! I am a little nervous about Dandenong, so it is really good to hear good reviews! I am also going private with my Ob (it may be the same one as your 2 friends, Dr Tarrant, he is well known in the area), so does that help with some more info for me?!

Kathryn, I guess I will look forward to the bounty bag goodies and just a general check-up to hear that all is well.

Cailin, I must admit, I am a little excited, I was telling a friend at work and it just made everything a little more real, which is what I really need as I am STILL struggling to believe its all happening.

Jess

Hi Jessica! At our first visit, they had a lot of family history questions, and the bounty bag of course and that was it... next appointment schedules, what happens when as far as appts go, but no check over or nothing... oh if I didn't have blood tests they would have done them and the u/s referral as well....

Jess, one went with Dr Lam (which is who I'm going through), the other was with a women, but I'm not sure of the name.

One of the girls (she had the C-section) also was nervous about going to Dandenong hospital. She really wanted to go private, but couldn't afford. But she ended up having a postive experience.

I guess Dandenong has a stigma about it, but I've heard nothing bad about the maternity ward. I wouldn't worry to much. She also loved her ante natel classes. She said they were really fun.

Iris, thanks again.

Dr Lam was on my list of referrals by my GP, but I liked the sound of 'Tarrant'. heehee.

Your right, its the suburb that has the 'stigma', which is unfortunate. Especially since I have heard nothing but good reports of the maternity ward at the public hospital.

Jess

cathy Guest

Hi JESS

Im going to Dandenong aswell have you done the antenatal class yet? Its really nice in the birth unit i liked it i thought the rooms are okay aswell did you have the tour? Maybe ill see you around where due around the same time too!!!! LOL

At my first hospital appointment they asked a whole heaps of Q's about my family history etc. Had BP taken, urine check, weight check, height check, heard baby's heart beat. I was given my bounty bag when i booked into the hospital though.