Thread: First Ob visit-What to expect?

Default First Ob visit-What to expect?

I have my first OB visit scheduled of next week and I am just wondering what sort of tests will be done and what can I expect at the visit?

Was your first visit what you had expected it to be or was it different to what you had thought it would be?

I am just a little concerned? I know that my OB will do a scan in his room but thats about it.

Please

my first appointment basically went for 45 minutes.

He weighed me, checked my height, touched my tummy etc.

Asked previous medical history, discussed birth options, gave me info on what not to eat, what to avoid etc.

Thats basically it for me.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Angel,

I have a very low intervention Ob and all he did was have a bit of a chat (he doesn't have ultrasound equipment in his rooms) gave me the instructions re 12 week scan and blood test and checked my tummy and blood pressure.

He then asked If I had any questions and addressed those. That was about it! I was in there for no longer than about 20 mins!

oh yes and my OB also sent me for a blood test.
    Checked for iron, rubella, chicken pox immunity, blood group, etc etc

My GP had already done the big batch of blood tests that Danni mentioned and the OB had sent out info re eating, what you can and can't take etc etc. My first visit was pretty brief - quick chat about the 12 wk scan, blood pressure, check tummy and that was it. Oh, we talked about Rh stuff as I am negative.

The things that I was expecting from reading books, friends etc was the urine test and weigh in at each visit - have not had to do this at all. OB asked me last week how much weight I had put on and when I said I wasn't weighing myself he said good as it wouldn't be helpful to me or him as it's not a reliable clinical indicator.

I've found it useful to keep a little notebook with me that I write questions in as I think of them so we can talk about them at the next visit. I then write in any other info he gives me and I keep my portable record card in it too (records BP etc from each visit).

Sorry, have gone on a bit - congrats and good luck with your pregnancy.

Blackbird- your Obs sounds nice and relaxed like mine! Who is your obs?

Suresh John. He only moved to Melb from Tas in April so not many people know him yet. Mitcham Private apparently headhunted him as they were having a shortage of good OBs. He's been great.

That is fantastic! I have read about him on other threads!

Goodluck with your pregnancy!