Thread: First scan

Lesh Guest

Smile First scan

Hi there, im due for my first scan this coming Monday and am pretty nervous about it. I miscarried in my previous cycle at 5 weeks so am not 100% sure how far I am and am having the u/s to confirm but GP is pretty certain I should be 6wks and 2 days on Monday - Been feeling a little sick but that comes and goes - are people normally constantly sick daily - it worries me if it goes for a day. I am having really bad intergestion though - which I thought is more common later on.

Ive read other threads and some mention that u/s this early you cannot see much - am wondering whether to allow an interal u/s if that is the case on Monday as ive also heard that that can be dangerous this early on too?

Hey..I just had an early scan and bub was measuring at 5 weeks 2 days..it was 5 weeks 6 days from my lmp. Itol have on/off morning sickness..and bad indigestion most of the time!

When I had my scan they couldnt see anything from an abdominal scan, I had to have an internal one, which then showed the sac, and the yolk. everything looked great! I have never heard of an internal u/s causing problems, I had to have one with my 3rd preg as well for dating purposes and she is just fine! I wouldnt worry to much about it.and good luck!

My morning sickness was a bit on and off as well, though i'm sure its nothing at all to worry about. You'll be fine!

i had an internal at 6 weeks, everything went fine, never heard of it being dangerous? they couldn't see much on the abdominal thats why the opted for internal.. i must say its not the most pleasant thing in the world but we were lucky enough to see the little flicker of bubs heart beat so it was well worth it!!! don't stress about morning sickness either i had mine really on and off too seemed to get worse around 8 weeks though some ppl are really lucky with it so the less sickness u get the luckier u are i say!! having said that i do know what its like to worry when it goes away! chin up and goodluck for ur scan

Lesh Guest

Thank you so much, you have all eased my mind a little. Can't wait for tomorrow to be here (and gone!) and I now I wont be too anxious if I need to have an internal examination.

I had an internal u/s at week 6 which showed my bub's heartbeat and sac. Everything was fine. I had another scan at week 8 and week 12 and my bub is growing healthily. My last scan, my bub was quite active during the abdominal u/s... and I was told there's no risk for vaginal u/s! Good luck on your scan! Let us know how it went.

Lesh Guest

Thanks Carmen2, all went well today, I had to had an internal in the end as the lady couldnt see the heart beat but afterthe internal she could. My GP was right, Im 6 weeks and 2 days.

Only probelm now is I have a little bit of brown spotting - but assuming this is just from the scan. Its not bleeding just brown discharge like before you get your period. Did this happen to you? ( I so don't want to be one of those paraniod pregnant girls but ... it seems im heading in that direction!).

Lesh, brown spotting is very common in early pregnancy especially you're about 6 weeks along. I had my brown spotting at week 6 too which was why my Ob wanted me to do an early ultrasound. She explained to me that the brown spotting could be implantation bleeding which was not let out until later thus brown and not red. Then, at week 8, I also had very light red spotting because my bub's sac was growing and sat on a small blood vessel (which was why I had to have another scan at week 8). Spotting is not unusal, but I know it could be worrisome. Since this is my first pregnancy, I tend to worry a lot too (it's natural!). As long as you don't have bad cramps and heavy bleeding, or presence of clots.... there's usually no problem to the bub! By the way, good luck with your pregnancy & keep us updated on how you are doing!

Lesh Guest

Hi Carmen2,

Some bad news, I had a message on my home phone from my GP last night and I found out today that they noticed some internal bleeding in my uterous - he told me that it is not the baby but I need to go and have another scan in a week to see if the bleeding is getting any bigger - so I am now petrified! I asked him what if there is more bleeding and he said not to worry at the moment! At the moment!!

The referal he gave me said follow up of subchrorioci bleed - im now reading up trying to find some refence of it anywhere. Feeling pretty distressed but trying to say positive somehow.

paradise lost Guest

Hey Lesh,

COngrats on your scan and little bubby . I wouldn't worry too much about your subchorionic bleed. Lots of women have them with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes they don't even bleed enough for the blood to come "out" IYKWIM. My friend had a pretty big one at book-in (11wks pg, bleed measured 4cm by 2.5cm), which was totally gone by her 20wk scan, and aside from a tiny bit of spotting in wks 6 and 9 (which she'd already had by the scan) it caused zero problems, except the docs kept a closer eye on her and it was her 1st bub and she was very nervous so that was actually a good thing for her.

It can be a sign of problems but i think it's one of those things we'd not know about without ultrasound and knowing isn't usually that helpful. For instance i had a large corpeus luteum cyst at booking in (my right ovary was bigger than my uterus at 11wks PG!!) and the doctors made all sorts of noises about me not being able to deliver vaginally as it's be "in the way" for birth. Of course i had no problems, fast and easy delivery with only gas, everything fine. If they hadn't scanned they'd never have known and i wouldn't have worried....

Hana

I hope ur next scan goes well. Ill be thinking of you...

Lesh Guest

Thank you, ive been looking on line tonight about it and found a few forums about it - varing from complete bed rest to like what hoobley said above. I made an apt for next Thursday but might make it earlier to see if the blood has increased in size from last Monday as I think ill go crazy thinking about it.

Will keep you posted!

Lesh, please try not to stress out about it! As the doctor said, the bleeding is not from your bub! I had bleeding (more spotting) at week 7.5 and it was caused by my bub's sac putting pressure on a small blood vessel. My Ob reassured me that it was normal and many women go through this without any problems. By the way, are you spotting now? If there's any spotting, bedrest is best. But like I said earlier, I have experienced the same thing around the same week. Please try to take it easy (i know, it's easier said than done). In the mean time, I am sure everything is okay because what you are going through is exactly what I have gone through! Keep us posted of what is happening. In the mean time, I'll be thinking of you!