Thread: First Scan

Default First Scan

Just wondering when did/will you be having your first scan. I am going in as a public patient and have been told that my first scan is not until 19 weeks. If I want the 12 week scan with downs testing I have to book into the private section of the hospital with a referal from my doctor. Does this seem right? This is my first pregnancy, so I am no quite sure what to expect. The only person I have seen so far is my GP.

Lisa

I had the 12 week nuchal scan done at the public hospital, and I was a public patient the whole time....
    Although I remember there was a big drama trying to find somewhere that would do the scan because none of the public diagnostic imaging places in Qld were doing the 12 week Nuchal scans anymore... which is why I had it done at the hospital.
    Some Drs don't like referring for the 12 week scan anymore unless you are in an 'at risk' category ie. over 35 yrs old, or something along those lines...

Lisa,

I had a 12 week and a 18 weeks scan.

What hospital are you going to in Adelaide ?

Ia mhaving my first scan tomorrow, and I will be about 8 weeks. I will also be having a 11-13 weeks scan for downs in a few weeks as well. I am goin in as a public patient as well, I think that its just like going tot he doctor, you pay for it then claim most of it back through medicare. Could be wrong though, I guess i will know more tomorrow when I have had my scan done.

Ive been a public patient for both my pregnancies. Ive always had a scan at 8 weeks (bulk bill), 12 weeks and 18 weeks. With this pregnancy i paid for the 12 week ultrasound ($300), cause i had the down syndrome testing done - this was our choice. I got about $100 back.

I dont know about adelaide, but in Syd you can have an ultrasound when you want (within reason). I simply said i didnt know when my period started, therefore my dates were out of wack, so i got a referral for a dating scan at 8wks prg.

I'm going private, but I had a scan at 8 weeks because I had some light bleeding (referred by GP), then saw the OB at 12 weeks and he did a quick measurement scan, but I didn't have the NT scan done. I've just recently had a 19 week scan. I think that's it for official scans for me. OB will be doing mini ultrasounds each visit tho (and I mean mini! about 1 minute.. if that)

My understanding is the 18/19 week scan is the important one, they check everything there, the brain, the heart, all sorts of measurements etc.

The 18-20 wk scan is the one they like you to have.

Any earlier cans are normally only done for dating, spotting etc, or the 12 week one for downs syndrome screening.

I had the 12 week one (public patient, MIA at public hospital), my doctor asked if I wanted it or not & referred me. It cost $100 and was not claimable on medicare.

All my other scans where I was referred have had a medicare rebate (6, 19 and 36 weeks)

How soon can you see/hear the babies Heart Beat?

i had a 'small' scan done at about 12 weeks, and im pretty sure we got to listen to the babys heartbeat then. we also had the main U/S at 18 weeks

I wonder whether every state is different with regards to Medicare. I had a bleeding/cramping scare at early (prior to 12wks) so I had a U/S to check bubs was ok. That was bulk-billed. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Medicare definately bulk-bill 1 scan between 18-22wks (morphology?); I ended up having to have 2 in this period and did not get any refund on the 2nd one which cost me $170 out of pocket.

My GP was recently concerned about bubs not growing enough so I had another U/S at 32wks. This one was not bulk-billed in total, but they do allow you to have one between 22wks-40wks where you get back a certain percentage. In my case, the U/S cost me $155 and I got back $90 IIRC from Medicare.

Michelle, I'm going into Flinders Medical Centre.

Fruitwood Guest

It all depends on your individual dr and what their routines are. I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks to confirm my due date, another ultrasound at 7 weeks to confirm a heart beat as it wasn't detected at 5 weeks. I turned down the downs syndrome test at 17 weeks and had my next ultrasound at 19 weeks. All these were done in a private ultrasound clinic where I had to pay the $65 gap except for the 7 week scan which was free. My local Sydney public hospital although they have the scanning equipment prefer to use this private obstetrician. I am in the process of moving to Qld where i've been told that I'll need to pay for all my scans/tests up front. Ultrasounds can cost up to $300 and then I'll need to take the receipts to Medicare to see what percentage they will pay back to me. It's so much more expensive. I think the different health systems in each state play a big part in what the hospitals/obstetricians will bulk bill and what they won't.

Sharon

sharon, i'm in nsw and had to pay upfront for mine, but maybe that's because i am in a small town?

Ok I had my first scan yesterday (im in wa) and it was done at just a private radiology clinic, and it was $108 all up for the scan, and of that medicare only cover half.

I will have my first scan at 7wks, it will cost me an extra $35 on top of our consult fee...

The 12 wk scan will cost around the $100 mark, but you get some back on medicare, and the 18-20wk one is a bit cheaper.

I can bulk bill in my home town, but that radiographer didn't pick up on a friends baby having a 2 vessle cord, and a hole in his heart... so I wont be going there!

i wouldnt either melissa!!!

I think even if I wanted too, DH wouldn't let me!!!