Thread: First time & So many Q's

Cool First time & So many Q's

Hi All,

Well as the title says, first time pg and soo many questions! LOL I realised that I learnt all the conception side but not much of the pg side!

My Main question is about diet.. I am a very healthy person and try to stay away from junk food but I am really clueless about what I should be eating more of and what I should be staying away from.

So if there is something that I should be eating more of now in these early stages then please let me know, also what I should be avoiding!

TIA

I was waiting for your endless list of questions but only 2!

Basically eat healthily and ensure you get heaps of fruit and vegetables, and keep up your red meat intake for iron etc. You should definitely be taking a folate supplement if you're not already. I recommend the blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding supplement. Has everything you need in them

Stay away from any foods that can cause Listeria. No cold meats from the deli, beware of ready made salads sitting there all day, stay clear of buffets, soft cheese, soft serve icecreams.

Limit your intake of tea and coffee and stay away from cigarettes and alcohol. PHEW i think thats it

LOL - well that is all that I can think of at the moment and probably the most big question.

Coool - So I am already on the right track with eating healthy! I cant seem to get enough of fruit these days, especially since all the yummy summer fruit as come in to season!

I am getting the supplements on the way home from work tonight. I dont eat much of red meat (DP is a fussy eater!! I hope our baby wont be like him - lol) Do you think it would be a good idea to get some iron tablets too or just try and eat more red meat?

What about subway - should I be stearing clear of them now? I normally get subway once or twice a week.

No probs about the ciggi's as I have never touched one my whole life!

Hey Veronica, my DH is fussy too - he doesn't do red meat and I'm not a huge fan of fish, so we eat a lot of chicken! I find I eat vegetarian some nights too.
    I don't think you need an iron supplement - my iron levels are fine and I rarely eat red meat. You can get iron from leafy green veges and dried apricots. IMO iron supplements are just yukky and I wouldn't have them unless I absolutely had to.
    On another thread we talked about peanuts and allergies. I don't know if there's really conclusive evidence that eating heaps of nuts or peanut butter in pregnancy increases the risk of allergies in your kid, but there's certainly heaps of anecdotal evidence... I've been keeping the peanut butter intake to a minimum just in case - DH says he'd just die if our baby turned out to be allergic to his precious peanut butter

The blackmores pregnancy & breast feeding tablets have iron in them so I wouldn't take iron tablets on top of that. The good thing about the blackmores is they have iodine in them which is very important in australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngala View Post
    I am getting the supplements on the way home from work tonight. I dont eat much of red meat (DP is a fussy eater!! I hope our baby wont be like him - lol) Do you think it would be a good idea to get some iron tablets too or just try and eat more red meat?

With the blackmores, make sure you get the "gold" formula. Its new and improved with extra iodine.

And yes, you dont need to take any extra supplements

jja - I noticed that the tablets had iron in them when I bought them last night.. silly me forgot to take one this morning tho LOL Will have get in to the swing of taking them each morning

you need to take 2

Yes I know that I was planning on taking one in the morning and one at night or shall I just take them both in one go? I took 2 last night with dinner.

take 2 first thing in the morning. It will help with extra energy too

Oo extra energy sounds great.

Thanks Danni Where would I be without you?!

Probably the same place I was before the other lovely BB girls answered all my questions!

LOL! Yes that would be right... this site has been a life saver

If there is anything else that you think I need to know, then please tell me!! I love learning new stuff.

get lots of rest now while you can, cos soon enough you wont be able to sleep well!

Try to avoid anything with uncooked eggs in it, eat your eggs well done and your meats should be well done also. Don't eat dips that have been out for awhile. Be careful of buying chickens that may have been sitting there for awhile. Or buy salads that have cold chicken in them.