Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Ultrasound and not looking good

Default First Ultrasound and not looking good

Hi all. I am new here, this is my first pregnancy after years of trying. I am 7 weeks 5 days along, and had my first ultrasound today. They could not find a heartbeat, and the fetus was only measuring at around 3mm, should be around 11mm or so by now. I have to go back on Friday for another U/S, trying to be positive but not feeling so good at the moment. If anyone has any advice or experiences to share I would be very grateful.

Hi there Smegs,
    There's been a few posts about not finding a heartbeat at the first ultrasound from other ladies here, the last one was posted about a month ago (I think). Perhaps try and find that post - I imagine you'll find some reassuring words from people who have been in the same boat.
    All the best, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Is it possible that you aren't as far along as you thought? In that case it could just be a little too early. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and let us know how you go

Thank you for the replies guys.
    I was going through fertility treatment so my dates are spot on.
    I guess I will just have to keep hoping and hang in there until Friday.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep do hang in there, you never know what will happen. Have faith that your baby is ok

Smegs, this has happened to a couple of people I know and a heartbeat was detected at the later scan. I am hoping you will also be one of those people.

Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes on Friday.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Smegs, I am sending you loads and loads of and hoping that friday will bring you good news.

I have been checking my charts and the fetus age would be 5 weeks 4 days today, so maybe it is just a little early to judge from the U/S.

Thank you all for your kind words, it really does help.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Well 5 weeks 4 days is a little early, I have the feeling that that is the reason.

I hope it was too early! I think the embryo needs to be 6w before you can be sure of seeing a heartbeat. Something similar happened to Wattle, she was told she'd miscarried when she was actually fine and I know she posted about it, just can't find where.

Hope everything goes OK on Friday!

Thank you guys. I just found wattle's post, that is the kind of stuff I need to read, it helps me stay positive.

I went for my first scan las week and my Ob couldnt find a heartbeat and i was 10 weeks 4 days. My uterus was blocking his veiw or something.....dont worry i know its hard. but stay positive things will work out. I had a scan the next day and we found it, so hang in there and m giving you a big hug because i know what the wait is like........

Smegs - sending u heaps of hugs ...hope Friday provides u with wonderful news

It might just be too early to detect a beat but that might not explain the size difference - but not detecting a beat at 7 weeks isn't that uncommon going by a lot of experiences I have read. Have you DTD since your treatment - is it possible you have a natural conception that is dated later? Stranger things have happened... I know it feels hard but all you can do is let things work naturally and wait and see.

I really hope that things work out for you though - here's hoping.
    Last edited by jja; August 15th, 2006 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jja
    Have you DTD since your treatment - is it possible you have a natural conception that is dated later?
    jja, sorry but I do not know what DTD means (been trying to work it out but can't).

Tigergirl1980 Guest

DTD= Doing The Deed, having sex, correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks Tigergirl.

I guess that is possible jja, at this stage I am hoping that anything is possible.

If was to do all this again, I wouldn't go for an U/S so early, it's just too stressful, you live and learn I guess.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Still sending you lots of luck smegs, let us know how you go on Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast