Thread: First ultrasound question

Default First ultrasound question

I have my first scan tomorrow (yaay!) and have seen that alot of girls have an internal scan aswell as the ultrasound - is this the norm?? just wondering as I want to be prepared!! I presume too that DH/partner didn't stay with you while they did the internal scan?

I asked for the earlier scan and got a referral from my doctor, so maybe it is different and i'll just get the u/s?

thanks
    Kat
    xx

It usually depends on the person doing the u/s and whether they can get a clear picture of bubs, by doing and external one first. If they can't then they will do an internal.

Being just over 7 weeks, you will probably end up having an internal one done, but as i said it will probably depend on the person doing it.

Good luck with you scan tomorrow.

hiya,

I had an u/s at 7 weeks and i didnt have the internal. To be honest, unless there was something wrong, like spotting or something i would refuse an internal, i cant stand the thought of them unless its really really necessary.... but thats just me tho...

good luck with the scan!!!

Im 5 and a half weeks and had my first ultrasound yesterday.
    I was a lil scared bout the internal as i only heard about it a few days prior.

They did an external first where they saw the sack but she said it would probably be best to do an internal too.. i was like ehhhh okkk.. so i emptied my bladder and prepared myself for it.. But.. as scarey as it looks and sounds i honestly didnt think it was that bad. They dont use those terrible things they use when you get a p/s.. just a rod shaped thing at the tip it about 2cm wide then gets thinner. They put gel on it so theres no discomfort either. And there was no pain whatsoever. Infact the only pain i felt the whole time was when they did an external and i was busting to go to the bathroom!
    My partner was still in the room.. but they put a blanket over you so no one can see anything anyways..
    I think if they say its best then id do it.. least then you know the results you are getting will be more accurate. But i guess it is personal opinion.

Good luck with it all

Thanks for the info girls, much appreciated! and at least now i'm prepared!!

Kat
    xx

Fraser Guest

Kat - all I can say is at least you know there is such a thing as an internal scan! it will lessen the shock when your OB produces the probe!

Mine didn't really tell me what was going on and then oops Bob's your uncle, we became very familiar.

It doesn't hurt at all, just feels a little odd when it gets wriggled around - but truthfully the picture is much much better.

By DH came back into the room after it was 'inserted' (also had to have a pap smear and I didn't think he would want to watch that (-; !) I asked the OB to warn him, and he almost tripped over a chair trying really hard to not look! (odd - not like he has seen it all before!) - but he OB had put a light blanket over my legs so there was no embarrassment.

Don't panic, it's not too bad at all. This is kind of a gross warning - but if your OB over lubricates you may just want to duck to the ladies room after for a little clean up - sorry to be crass - but I wish someone had told me!

Good luck with it all and you'll be fine I'm sure!

Cheers, Emily

Early on they often use the internal probe cause the baby is so tiny. When I went for a six weeks scan they didn't even try the external. They're both ultrasounds, just different methods of collecting the information I guess

Internals aren't too bad and they're generally very discreet about the whole thing. You get a better picture too. Much clearer.

Oh and DH stayed for the whole thing. There's nothing he hasn't already seen but I had a gown over my legs anyway

Fee Guest

They are all ultrasounds Kat - just internal or external. You can get a better picture of the baby with an internal.

DH stayed with me in the room for the entire thing (this was my first OB appt). Never left. The OB left the room while I got undressed (had to take everything off because I had a full examination as well as my ultrasound). The OB had explained to DH how to place the sheets over me. So we did that. Then the OB came back into the room. The midwife was there too. The OB felt my breasts and tummy. Then he did a pap smear and then checked me internally with his hand/fingers. This was the most uncomfortable. Then he inserted the probe for the internal scan. I hardly felt a thing. The pap smear was worse!

Have fun!

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser
    This is kind of a gross warning - but if your OB over lubricates you may just want to duck to the ladies room after for a little clean up - sorry to be crass - but I wish someone had told me!
    The midwife did with me. Gave me tissues so I could clean up - then she and the OB left the room.

I'm glad that gave me the tissues cause I need it!

Thanks again girls - not long to go now, it's this afternoon!!

Good Luck this afternoon Kat.

I had an internal at 6 weeks and 8 weeks and surprisingly at 6 weeks the picture was clearer with the abdominal ultrasound.

The internal doesn`t hurt at all, DH was with me at the time and was at the end of the bed LOL, it`s all quite discreet though and nothing to worry about

How did you go kat

Sorry I just wanted to add on here, that I had an both an external and internal dating scan today. Obviously you can't see more than the gestational sac at 6 weeks, but I had to have an internal scan to pick up the heartbeat. The lady doing the scan said she thought she could see the heartbeat by doing just an external but wanted to be sure, hence the internal scan.

It was amazing seeing the heartbeat, and we were informed that the internal scan was completely safe and went nowhere near the pregnancy. The probe (as it's called :-k ) is only inserted a couple of centimetres..

Out of curiosity, for those who had a dating scan and saw their bub's heartbeat, how many bpm and how many weeks was the pregnancy? My bub's heartbeat was 92bpm at 5 weeks 3 days.

Cheers

When I went in, I was told to expect both and external and internal scan... but the sonographer was able to detect bubs and measure heartbeat externally. So I didn't need an internal in the end.

SandraT - Mine measured 6weeks, 3 days and heartrate was 125bpm. I have heard that the heartrate is slower when it very first starts beating, then speeds up over the next week or so.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra T
    Out of curiosity, for those who had a dating scan and saw their bub's heartbeat, how many bpm and how many weeks was the pregnancy? My bub's heartbeat was 92bpm at 5 weeks 3 days.

Cheers
    My dating scan was at 9w6d but we didn't get told the HB. I might ask next time I go in. But we should get told/hear the HB at my upcoming scan (13w6d) for the nuchal testing etc.