Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Visit to OB

Default First Visit to OB

Hi everyone,

It varies in pg books as to when to have your first ob appt, so what do you girls recommend?

Also, is it at your first ob appt you have your first u/s? When you are making an appt do you need to tell them you want to have an u/s?

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Pietta Guest

Hello Jess,
    I had my first OB appointment at 12 weeks. They booked in for my 12 weeks u/s then. Also my blood work.
    I'm not sure what your hospital will be like so give them a call before maybe?
    I hope this kinda helps!

I will have my first appointment at 10 weeks 1 day. That was the earliest the OB would see me. But I am actually not sure whether I should go or cancel and just go in Germany instead.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happened at their first OB visit? I wanted to go because I just wanted to experience an Aussie OB before I left and also because I wanted to make sure that everything is okay for me to fly such a long way.

Pietta Guest

Snowy,
    At my first OB appointment all they did pretty much was give me my bounty bag (bag full of free sample goodies) talked to me about the hospital a little bit, took my blood pressure, weighed me, booked my blood work and u/s and that was pretty much it. It was only with a midwife and i didnt see a doctor. They need to see you though so they can schedule you for the birth i was told.
    It took about 20 minutes for me. They've all been significantly shorter since then though!!
    :P

I think it really depends on your situation, if you are going through a hospital/ public then 12 weeks seems to be the time... if you are going privately then they do things differently sometimes, and the OB's themselves have different structures individually... so its best to call if you are going privately and find out from them, if you have concerns i.e. previous m/c or endometriosis/pcos then they will definately want to see you earlier... and you most likely will have a scan earlier as well...

Christy

I went public and first appointment was at 10wks.

I got weighed, blood pressure taken, urine sample, paper work given to have bloods and ultrasound done a few days later. Went through all family medical history, my past pregnancy etc etc and also received my bounty bag

Seems like many moons ago now

Love :smt049

Hey Jess,

I'm going to my first OB appointment on Friday. I'll be 6 weeks 3 days. I wasn't supposed to see him for another couple of weeks yet, but my GP managed to bring forward the appt because I'm so anxious about m/c again. If you get really worried about something, then maybe mention it to your GP and they might be able to move forward your OB appt, or at least arrange for an u/s for you.

Lots of luck!!

First Timer Guest

Mine was pretty much the same as Kathryn's. I was about 10.5 weeks at my first appointment (I went private). Went through the family history, weighed, had urine sample taken, felt my belly and breasts (??), discussed whether we wanted a nuchal translucensy test, got the paper work to have the u/s and bloods - "Any other questions? - see you in 6 weeks" !!

The only thing is I didn't get the bounty bag. I had to wait until my anti-natal class (a couple of weeks ago) before I got it. #-o

Tam
    O

Yeah Tam at my 10wks when I was preg with Kameron I had a Heart, Lung and Breast check (HLB) done. I didn't with Lachlan though

Love :smt049

Thanks ladies!

So if I go at around the 10 week mark to my first appointment with the ob, does that mean I come back in 2 weeks for my 12 week scans/tests?

Melinda Guest

Hey Jess,

As the others have pointed out it seems to vary dependent upon whether you are going to go public or private. I'm going private and just rang to make an appt with the OB and I was seen at 6w due to past history and my first scan was done in his rooms on that day. If you don't have any past history of concern, they normally don't see you until you're 10 - 12w, but each OB is different and they will usually tell you on the phone what their standard practice is in this regard.

My OB actually does all the scans himself so for my 12w scan, I just went to him for my usual fortnightly visit and he did it there. Most OB's however refer you to have an u/s so you would most likely get a referral slip or something similar with which to make an appt for this and also to get any bloodwork done at the same time.

At my first appt my OB went through my past history and also family history etc. There were other things discussed relevant to my situation and our concerns as well. I have never been weighed and he has shown no interest at all in my weight which I thought was weird, but I've since read that they are not as concerned about this as they once were provided that everything is progressing otherwise normally with the PG and the bubs is having his/her growth spurts.

I haven't got a bounty bag either!!! Spewing!!!!!!! When do I get this - I hope this isn't another thing that is done in every state except for Tasmania!! I WANT FREEBIES!!!!

Ha on the freebees Tootie... I just unpacked the bag this week preparing... I guess every free nappy counts!! LOL!

Christy

Hee Hee I am looking forward to my first appointment, which is in a week, not only to see how bubs doing but also to get my bounty bag! The best thing is, you get another one when you are in hospital after giving birth, and then you can get another one from Target!
    I am going public and my first appointment is when I am 14 weeks. When I had Harry, who is 15 months, I had my first appointment at 13 weeks with a midwife and then went back a week later and saw the ob, who listened to bubs heartbeat, gave me a referral to book my ultrasound and gave me a pap smear. I had the smear cos I had never had one previously and doc said it would be a good idea. Anyway I am assuming it will be a similar arrangement this time, since it is the same hospital.

Bon

First Timer Guest

Hey Tootie,

I was the same re the Bounty Bag, but eventually got one at the anti-natal class only a couple of weeks ago. No doubt you'll get one eventually, the first one is just filled with lots of brochures, a couple of magazines and a few samples like nappy rash cream, nipple cream, stretch mark cream and maternity pads.

Maybe you could ask at your next midwife/ob appointment - they should let you know.

Tam

O

Pietta Guest

Oh.... I never got nipple cream!! or stretch mark cream!! Obviously our stretch marks and nipples arent as importnant in W.A!! O

If you join the coles baby club you get freebies too - they give you a little box with samples and things in it and then every 3 months they send you a magazine, which is actually a pretty good read - I look forward to getting mine. The best bit is it's all free and you don't have to necessarily be a regular customer either!

Bon

im a member of that baby club thing but im not pregnant so if anyone wnats me voucher for the box ill send it to them as i have no need for it.. i didnt even realise i was singing up for it.. ohwell

Lesley

Orkids Guest

I got my bounty bag when I booked into the hospital with the midwifes. I got stretchmark cream, but no nipple cream. Apparantly the stretchmark cream doesnt work #-o , although I've always been really prone to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast