Thread: Fluid Before Ultrasound.

Mumof42B Guest

Default Fluid Before Ultrasound.

Hi was just wondering if some of you ladies can help me! I'm going for NT Scan on Friday morning at 9.30 therefore have to drink 500ml fluid an hour before that. As I am throwing up quiet alot I'm not sure I can drink that much water that early in the morning. What are your thoughts on drinking say apple or pineapple juice as I'm sure I should be able to keep these down easier. Or does it have to be clear fluid. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

It doesn't have to be just water. I can't stomach water in the morning at anytime LOL, so I used to drink lemon cordial or have a cup of tea with no milk

Love

As Kathryn said it doesn't have to be water, as long as you bladder is full that is all that matters. I can't stomach water at all atm and when I had my first u/s I drank juice and it was fine.

Good luck with your scan on Friday.

I was told "water-based drink" and when I asked what that meant she said anything except milk... It's just to help push your uterus up to a level where it can be seen more easily, so basically you just need a full bladder.

Mumof42B Guest

Thanks ladies for your help. Feeling really crap today so i'll stick with the juice not that I think that will stay down either.
    Take care

good luck karen!!

Linda

My father-in-law (GP) laughed when I told him that the sonographer had said water only. Apparently any clear liquid is fine.

I'm actually suprised that they said only 500mls for the NT scan, I had to drink almost 2Ls at that point in my pregnancy. Even last Monday for my morphology scan I had to drink 500mls and then she made me drink another 3 glasses!

Mumof42B Guest

Hi Becka, OMG at 2L I would burst. I drank the pineapple juice 500ml and was busting. The sonographer said my bladder was too full and I had to empty. All went well though. It funny different people do things different. With the blood test mine was taken 3 days before but my sister was told it had to be taken on the same day as the scan.

Hi Linda, thanks for you luck, all is fine and they didn't have a clue it wasn't water.
    Take care

Oooh... I remember having to drink 1.5L and I was soooo busting!! When I got in there to have my scan the second she pressed down on my belly I thought I was going to wet myself, rofl! 8-[ So she sent me out to empty my bladder a bit *phew*

Glad it went ok for you Karen!

LOL same thing for me Ambah, I had 1.5l before my first u/s and the sonographer pushed down and quickly did what she needed first (m/c scare) and then let me empty some out before she continued....whew

OMG... you guys must have the most amazing bladder control! They were running 20mins late the day of my scan when I had to drink 2Ls and I remember the receptionist telling me I could go and 'let a bit out' if it'd help.

I figured it was safer not too because I couldn't trust myself not to pee it ALL out! *LMAO* But OMG the pain....I was almost crying from the pressure of that much liquid in my belly/bladder and having an U/S stick pressed into it.

How bizarre, I would never have questioned it!! I just drank water. Infact I am sure I thought I couldn't have anything else!! Loser!!
    Had my ultrasound yesterday , a check up at 24 weeks, and LUCKILY they said I didn't have to drink anything!! Was rather a relief after the 19 week and 12 week where I thought I was going to burst!