Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Default Flying

We're moving back down to NSW in March and i will be about 9 weeks. Is this ok? We cant really back out of it..

Tegan, Have you read the article on the main BB site? http://bellybelly.com.au/articles/pr...ring-pregnancy

HTH

Thanks Dee, well it says you should avoid flying in the first 3 months. Hmm.. bummer.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi Tegan,
    I'd check with your local Dr or hospital midwife/obstetrician as I was told that it was perfectly safe to fly at any time during pregnancy and my dr advised that the only restriction is made by the airlines who require a medical certificate after 34 weeks just incase your at risk of blood clots or premature labour. A good friend of mine has travelled overseas right from finding out that she was 3 weeks pregnant and is still flying as of last week at 36 weeks with a medical letter. The way it was put to me is that if it was unsafe to fly during pregnancy would the danish have let Princess Mary fly out to Australia when she was only approx 8 weeks pregnant or continue to fly and visit other countries during her pregnancy. My dr didn't think so and reckons that it's a myth that pregnant women can't fly in the 1st or 3rd trimesters. Each to their own opinions though but I'd definately check with your dr and even give the airline a ring if you really want to fly as there are alot of different opinions and research that has been done into the safety of flying. If it's not safe an airline won't fly you because of the legal risks to them which is why most have policies in place after 34 weeks.

Best of Luck
    Sharon

My goodness Tegan, Congratulations on the pg (I must of missed that bit - haven't snuck in on the TTC girls for a while!) Am so happy for you.

Thanks Sherie. Still keeping a bit quite until I get confirmation from the GP, then will post a preg announcement.

I never knew that you couldn't fly in the first 3 months of pregnancy.

When I was pg with Nicholas I flew from Qld, back to Melbourne and I would've only been 5-6 weeks pg. I think it is just one of those things, I mean it may not necessarily be the flying that could cause a m/c, without sounding awful if it is going to happen then it will regardless of whether you fly or not.

I was thinking about this last night and remembered that i flew when i was pg with Kimberley i would have only been about 4wks pg.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Tegan*
    Thanks Dee, well it says you should avoid flying in the first 3 months. Hmm.. bummer.
    Wow I have never heard of that. I thought the only reason you could not fly later along in your pregnancy was due to the fact that you may go into labour. It's not a danger or anything.

HI.
    I had booked and paid for a trip to HK to accompany my husband - he left yesterday - I would have been 8 weeks - and my OB said it was fine. (And I am a high risk cos of my age etc). I asked again at my U/S and the dr said fine too.
    I chose to put it off until the next trip (where i will be in 2nd trimester if i make it) only bcos I am SO SICK. I was really looking forward to it as i love HK but just thinking about all the wonderful smells up there sends me heaving and I didnt want to spoil my DH's work.
    I did read somewhere that they dont recommend flyving in the 1st cos of radiation - but I tend to believe the OB's and Drs.

Also, just out of interest, my SIL who worked for international airlines said one of the reasons they dont like you travelling internationally close to due date is that if you have the baby on the plane(the mind boggles) all international airspace laws govern what nationality your baby will be and its a whole big headache for the airline!!!

Best
    D

Hey Tegan

We are going to Gold Coast and I we have decided to catch the XPT instead and get a sleeper as I dont want to risk flying.

I think its a anxiousness thing also. I hate flying get very scared so not good for my little one.

Have you decided what to do?

Bel
    xxx

Well as i said i cant back out of it. Tickets are already paid for and cant catch the xpt because they stopped it going to Tweed Heads and it's mean a 3hour bus trip to lismore and then the 9 or so hours on the train and I hate long travel.

Tegan I flew to Canada and back when 4.5 to 6 weeks pregnant (not realising I was pregnant of course) with DS #1, I'd never heard about the no flying in first trimester either and in this one flew in a little plane to Sydney at about 12 weeks (max).

I've never heard that either, mind you I never needed to fly anywhere when I was pg, but I don't see why it would be a problem?

Bon

We are in the UK at the moment - and we obviously flew to get here!! we are flying back next week when i'll be just over 12 weeks pregnant.

Edited to say - I asked my doctor about it and she said it'd be fine, just keep up the fluid intake and move around more frequently.

Tegan - I`m sure flying from Coolangatta or is it Brisbane you`ll be flying out off? down to Newcastle will be fine, I can`t remember how long it takes off the top of my head now but I recall it`s not long at all, I haven`t flown myself but have flown cats up to Brisbane to be mated then back down to us in early pregnancy.

Ask your GP and find out but I`m sure it`ll be ok.

Dee - yeah it takes just over an hour from Coolangatta. So should be fine, just a bit paranoid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast