Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying During Pregnancy

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Default Flying During Pregnancy

Hi All

I have a question about flying during pregnancy, is it ok? Please say yes. We are about to go on the trip of a lifetime that we have had booked since July. On the 27th November we are heading off to Italy for 3 weeks and then 1 week in Switzerland, this is the honeymoon we never had.

Is there anything I need to do or make sure of before we go that will ensure that baby will be ok? Or is it just a risk you take? I know there is something about at bellybelly but seeing as the site is not up I'm just wondering if anyone knows or if someone else has been in the same position?

Hoping someone can help.

Bec

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ok, never mind I asked someone at the hospital when I was ringing for an appointment, at this early stage there are no problems with flying at all hoorah!!! O

Hey Bec,

Good to hear you got the all clear from the hospital.

I've read that article that was on the main BellyBelly site a few times, and as far as I can remember it said that flying was okay, different airlines have different policies, but there was something about long flights not being recommended during the first trimester unless absolutely necessary due to the baby being exposed to more cosmic radiation at higher altitudes. I think it's all pretty controversial really, and the risks (if any) of the baby being exposed to enough radiation to cause a m/c or birth defects are probably quite small.

Other than that I'd say just make sure you drink plenty of water, and make sure you stretch and move around a lot as the risk of developing DVT increases if you are pg.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks Angel

I was planning to do all the things you should anyway before I found out I was pregnant O

Hey Tigergirl -- Have fun on your holiday! I've been to both Italy and Switzerland and they are great. Switzerland is beautiful - you wont believe the colour of the water over there! Are you intending to go to Venice? That was one of the best places in Europe - but it was at Carnivale time which I think was in February, but you should look at that... Florence - great, Rome - great, Milan - quite a big hole in the ground (nothing exciting really), if you get to check out Pompeii that is pretty good too (but pretty much takes a whole day!)

Anyway, have the time of your life - your bubba will be more cultured for it!

Keen

Hey Bec - we were in Vietnam just after spud was conceived, so there was a bit of travel there. No major problems with the flight except for the morning sickness and that bloody food tray being left for about 30 mins.
    I flew to Queensland about 3 weeks ago (18-19 weeks?) I found I got really, really uncomfortable on the seats - my lower back got really sore, and I don't normally have a problem there. Getting up and walking around is a must.
    I'm flying to NZ for Chrissie (26 weeks?). A bit nervous about this one even though its a short flight. I think I'll get really uncomfy on the plane so I'll end up standing when I can. I think I'll ask for an exit row for a bit more leg room.
    My boss' wife flew to US and Europe at 12 ish weeks? She unfortunately developed DVT, a blood clot in her leg, spent a few days in hospital when she got back and was on daily injections INTO her tummy. Not nice! I have it on good authority she sat for the whole flight back, slept, and didn't move.
    Just be sensible on the plane (water, moving around, exercises etc), and maybe take something to booster your back for the pains. Other than that - have a sensational holiday you lucky thing. Don't be afraid to tell the attendants too, they might look after you a little better.
    Fi

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hi All

Thanks you two for reassuring me. I'm sure I will be fine and before I found out I was pg we were planning to do all the precautuions to prevent dvt, I'm a worrier so of course I was concerned about that even before bubs.

Keenas, we are going to Rome, Florence, Pompei and Venice, in that order and then up to Switzerland where we will spend Christmas. I am soooooooo excited, I have never been out of Aus before, and I'm sure we will have a fantastic time.

Bec

Hi Bec,

Hoep you have a lovely holiday. Your Christmas is going to be just great. Lets hope it snows for you.

Hi Bec,

I have researched a bit on flying and cosmic radiation as I have to fly a bit for work. There is an increased risk flying at high altitudes and there is some good information in 'The Natural Way to Better Babies' book. There has been some studies done on flight attendants and the increased occurances of miscarriage. Miscarriage was higher because of their constant exposure to cosmic radiation.

I flew to WA in Sept and thought I was pregnant. Really had to think about it but went anyway. I had severe pain when AF came and had lot of blood clots so I think I miscarried. I bought a piece of lead (same as lead aprons) and put it over my reproductive organs for protection during the flights. Going though the airport security was interesting as the x-ray showed a big mass. I got pulled up every time and had to explain and they thought it was very funny as well as weird.

Anyway, my naturopath advised taking extra Vic C to help with the cosmic radiation. Also sitting in an aisle and away from the window can help a lot too. You should be fine on your trip.

Hope that helps.

Gemma.

I won't fly in my first tri for work (not even to Sydney) but that's just me being over cautious.

My Brother & SIL planned their trip of a lifetime to the UK & Europe for 18-24 months, finding out they were pg the day before they left (5w) They still went and had a ball, didn't have any complications with flying. The only problem they had was making sure they flew back to Australia before she was 24w as travel insurance costs soared from then as that's when it's deemed a baby can survive outside the uterus.

I say go, have a ball, be sensible, take lots of photos and make the rest of us jealous!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thank you Wardygirl

Hi girls

The new BellyBelly website also has an article about flying during pregnancy that you may wish to check out if you want more information. Click Flying During Pregnancy to have a look.

Love

something quite urgent has come up in my husband's business that requires us to fly to china at the end of this week for about 10 days.. after reading the bellybelly article, i'd decided not to go but my husband insists that he needs me there. what should i do? i'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first so even the smallest things like sneezes scare me... i'm stuck... any ideas? thanks...

I know where you are coming from and I posted earlier on this topic.
    My suggestion is to sit in the aisle to reduce the cosmic radiation, take extra Vit C and it you are really keen buy a piece of lead or make an epsom salt cushion for your belly. You do get slightly delayed having the lead but it worked for my piece of mind.

Also, miscarriage has been known from 'constant flying' so you should be fine on your trip. My baby is doing well and I have done a few domestic flights when pg and will be flying to Brisbane and Sydney @ 29 weeks so I am not very worried about flying anymore.

Try not to worry, it may cause you more stress than the flying itself!

I flew to the UK from perth which was 19hrs all up when I was 4 months pregnant and I was fine, I did ask for a seat with no seats in front so i could stretch my legs but they gave me one at the back so i could lie my seat back.. they were great..and the stewardesses were always coming and asking if i needed a drink or anything to eat..

i know what u mean about being worried, I was worried when i flew and it was my first time flying aswell.. but it all turned out ok, maybe ask your GP for some advice aswell?

take care
    Lesley

Hi and thanks Gemma, I read your previous post and went searching for more information about 'The Natural Way to Better Babies' book but unfortunately, couldn't find much online.. I like the idea of the epsom salt cushion and might try that.. and hopefully it'll ease my mind a little. Just that being only 7 weeks, baby is still only very little (the flight is 8 hours) and I wouldn't want to jeopardise anything in the future. I'd feel absolutely awful if anything went wrong, I'd never forgive myself.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hi Dana

I started this thread and I did fly after all my worrying. I was very early on and we flew all the way to Italy and then home from Switzerland and everything is fine with bubs.

HTH

Hi Bec!

I was hoping you'd reply with your experiences so thanks for that. I told DH, Johnny that I didn't really want to go because of the risks (I probably exaggerated a bit cause I'm such a worrier) but he still insisted that it was important that I be there. After a lot of umm'ing and ahh'ing, he looked at my tummy and said okay.. hehe..

Thanks for all your input everyone

xox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast