Thread: Folate Tablets?

*Beccy* Guest

Default Folate Tablets?

I have a bottle of Folate tablets in my cupboard, I started taking them while TTc, but got lazy and forgot about them.

Now I'm nearly 7wks pregnant, and wanted to know if I should start taking them again even though I am pregnant?

I read somewhere that you should take them before conception and for the first 12wks of pregnancy? Is that right?

Becky

Although I am not pregnant (yet [-o< )I recently changed from Blackmores to Fabfol (suggested to me by SIL) and they recommend you to take them at least one month before and all through pregnancy and sometimes after. Fabfol is a cheaper alternative to elevit which is great. The only thing is you need to be sure not to take it with wheat or dairy otherwise you might not absorb the iron. I personally would start taking them again. Thats just me though.

*hugs*
    Cailin

*Beccy* Guest

Thanks Cailin...I think I will start taking them again tomorrow night. At least I know that they can't hurt me or the growing bub, just help!

Thanks again.
    Becky

Custardtart Guest

Default Folate

YES do take them! Folate is essential for the proper formation of the spinal column of the baby. A deficiency of folate results in spina bifida - where the spinal column does not connect completely to the brain.
    You may be getting enough with your regular diet if you are eating healthily, but please take the supplements just in case. This is an essential nutritional component for forming a healthy baby.

Kerrie

Most definitely take them, try to do something to help you remember, ie note on fridge, put em in handbag.

The good thing about the ones I am taking is that they have days on them, but with the ones you have you could put them on your pillow (I think Kathryn has suggested this before) if you are worried about forgetting to take them.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yes, I would start taking them. I took them until 14 weeks as advised by my OB.

Fire Fly Guest

Thanks for the info Cailin on the alternative for Elevit. Im currently taking them but if fabfol are the same and cheaper ill have a look when i run out and get them next.
    I agree with the other girls for sure. Take them. Its a crucial time for both you and bubs so any help is valuable.

kerrie

Fabfol are around $13-$14. Wheren't Elevit around $60 once? I heard they dropped their price to around $24 is that right? Maybe in competition Maybe that was for two months or something?

*hugs*
    Cailin

As the other girls have said start taking them again, I take Megafol @ $2.95 for 100 tablets, my GP told me to stop at 12 weeks yet my OB who I`ve been seeing since I was 10 weeks has told me to keep taking them right through so that`s what I`m doing afterall it doesn`t hurt me or bubs, after the birth I`ll still be taking them daily as we`ve decided just to rely on BF as a form of contraceptive and if I do become pg again with #2 I will feel happier knowing I`ve been taking the folate non stop.

Take Care

Deeanne

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on your pg

I would start taking the Folate tablets straight away, they are highly recommended.

I had been taking Fefol for about 6 weeks before i became pg and have been advised by my Dr to take them up until 16 weeks.
    Fefol come in a box of 30 and are $7.30.

Take care Leah

*Beccy* Guest

Hi Leah, Thankyou for your congrats! You didn't have a ticker at the bottom of your message...how many weeks are you?

I have started taking my Folic Acid tablets each night. Thanks to everyone for their support and information.

Kind regards
    Becky