Thread: Folic Acid and Morning Sickness

Default Folic Acid and Morning Sickness

I have been suffering all day sickness and have been vomiting at different times throughout the day. I had an especially bad day yesterday and didnt take my folic acid. Does it matter if I dont take it EVERY day? Its only every now and again that I dont take it.

some women dont take any vitamins, and back in the day im sure they didnt either. I have forgotten mine a couple of times, and fromw hat ive been told its fine, just try to take it as much as u can.

i feel for you i really do

Hi Ubba

As i may have told you before, my sister had a baby with Anencephaly. So I am very strict with my folic acid!!!! Obviously, i would try to take it when you feel less like you are going to throw up, if you do throw up soon after, try to work out whether you threw the tablet up. If you did or are not sure, it would be safe for you to take another tablet. I am taking a 5MG tab (5mcg is the usually the recommended dose in normal pregnancies) so if you have to take another tablet you can, 10mcg is definately not too much for you to have in one day. I have asked my Dr about overdosing on folic acid and she said in my case it would be best to overdose than underdose. That is just my opinion but then again i am super paranoid!!!! You can always just try to increase the amount of foods containing folic acid but then again, food is probably harder to keep down than a little tablet anyway!!

Goodluck Ubba x x x

i was reading somewhere in my research to get info to be prepared that there is very little effect of folic acid after 12 weeks as the neural development which it is important for has been done, so basically to put your mind at ease yes missing them is fine

I've too had all day sickness & can't swallow a thing without gagging...not even a panadol. Spoke to my doctor who advised my levels were fine when I had my first blood test & I could just pick them up again in the next few weeks (when, or if LOL) I feel better. I'm still trying to take them as often as possible....but I'm not stressing over it. Also spoke to a friend today & she mentioned she couldn't take anything as she was soooo very sick both times.......both her kids are fine.

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks pregnant and have been taking Elivet for the past couple of weeks. Would you suggest I need to take any other vitamins. I have a healthy diet and exercise regularly??

Hi bun in the oven!
    With my last pregnancy i was taking elevit and 2 iron tablets per day (but my iron levels were really really low).

this time round im just taking elevit - and thats it!
    You'll find elevit has just about everything, (correct me if i'm wrong ppl) including iron. I'd just ask your GP.

Like i said i was only taking the extras last time because of my iron issues.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    xx

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I am a little low in Iron but those iron tablets tend to block me up in the behind! I am very tired at the moment but I think that is quite normal isn't it?

Great I think I'll just check with Elevit then.