Thread: Gaining weight

Default Gaining weight

Hey all,

I know it is recommended that you gain 10-15kgs during preg and avoid any form of dieting etc. Only problem is I have a 3cm gallstone that can't be passed or broken down and if I eat fatty foods I get rushed to hospital in agony. It also screws around with my appetite and some days the thought of eating makes me feel sick (I do anyway because I have to). I'm 6ft tall and weigh 65kgs. Any suggestions on how I can gain some weight? I been having a fair bit of olive oil and avocado's in what I eat and try and eat red meat as it doesn't seem to set me off too badly.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

no suggestions much - soft drinks got alot of sugar? Cerels maybe? Chocolate? Muffins? Just listing food that i enjoy, but try not to eat so i dont put on to much weight, I am just under 6ft myself, but started off weighing 90kg! So, am slightly wishing i had your problem but, there a plus's and negatives for everything i guess.
    Am not sure how far along you are, but, i would let nature takes it course, and you should natuarlly put on weight as the bub grows, and fat stores start to build.
    Ask you obs, gp or someone for suggestions, or see a dietatition for help.

I would ask your doc or ob about it. Some people only put on a few kilos during pregnancy. The main thing is to eat healthy. Maybe try the carbs. More breads, potatoes, pastas...?

I don't think you actually need to try to gain weight - it just happens. Keep up with a healthy diet, it sounds like you already do. The weight will come, trust me. By the books, you only need to gain 1kg during first tri, so don't worry if you aren't gaining yet.

I'm only 4 weeks (yes feel free to laugh at me) but because I need to eat low fat and avoid a lot of foods so I don't get a gallbladder infection and the fact that I unfortunately look thin and pale (the usual me lol) I'm just worried I won't be able to gain the weight and have read to avoid diet and low fat foods which I can't really do. I was booked for surgery to have my gallbladder removed but looks like some rescheduling is in order lol. I have to consume a lot of veggies, avocados and oils to help with digestion and eat a lot of oats, "crispbreads" etc but find it very hard to keep my appetite up.

CMoon, they say that women who are under- or low-weight tend to gain more during PG to compensate, if the body needs to it finds a way. It's hard to imagine now but you will find your hunger kicks in over the next few weeks and you might find you are naturally more hungry.

However, if I were you I'd be asking for a referral to a dietician, they will be able to help you with appropriate serving sizes, etc of foods that aren't going to aggravate the gall bladder situation whilst maintaining the level of nutrients that you need, especially in the later months of PG where most of the weight gain occurs. Good luck!

Dieticians a very good idea I will wait till my doctor gets back from his holidays and have a talk to him then. Are they covered by medicare, healthcare card or private insurance do you know?

I have no idea about insurance etc. for you, but as the PP mentioned, I wouldn't get too stressed about the weight gain yet - it will come! I think the idea is that you eat regularly to keep your blood sugar high enough to nourish the baby. The baby will not live off of your body fat (if you have any) but gets it's nourishment from what is circulating in your blood, as far as I know. That's why you are not supposed to diet or try to lose weight during pregnancy. Also, it's good to have a little fat reserve for when you are producing milk after your baby arrives. But, don't get too stressed about it - look at all the tiny women who have healthy babies! Just make sure you eat regularly and keep it healthy! All the best with your pregnancy!

CMoon, it might depend on whether there is a clinical dietician you can see through the public hospital (and what the waiting period for that is) or whether you go to a private dietician. My dietician is in private practice and yes it is covered by my health insurance extras cover.

I din't think that I sould be looking at foods to make me put on weight. Just continue with your normal diet.Maybe just increase the amount a little. As long as you are on a healthy diet I dont think you will have any problems

Thanks for the help and suggestions I've tried increasing the amount I eat when I do eat it seems to be helping as long as I don't have a gallstone attack, that and DP is very persuasive in shoving food down ones throat or else lol (by or else I mean things like poking and tickling not getting smacked in the chops or something lol)