Thread: gender

Default gender

i was talking to a friend over the weekend about possibly finding out the gender of the baby at the nuchal translucency screening i am having on monday 30th. she said that yes they can identify the gender of the baby but are legally bound not to tell you until 20weeks because of the risk of mothers aborting their babies if not pleased with the gender. i was totally shocked at this because we live in Australia and i would never have thought that people living in this country would have such a ideas. i know that possiblity would never even cross my mind.

I suppose it could be right, I mean some women may abort if not the 'right' sex, but I didn't think it would be a legal thing not to tell you. I thought they couldn't be 100% sure about gender at that age anyway.

I had always heard that it was too early to tell the baby's gender at that stage, and any guesses by the sonographer were just that - guesses...

I asked the sonographer to guess for me at my 12 wk nuchal scan... she guessed a boy, and she was right though....

I have heard of people finding out the gender at 15 and 18 weeks though, so I'm not sure about the 'legally bound until 20 weeks' thing...

But it is terrible to think of people aborting at 12 weeks because they were not happy with their bubby's gender...

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Most sonographers wouldn't tell you but I have never heard of any legal thing.

Most people find out if they want at 18 weeks scan and those who are that desparate you can have CVS (invasive needle sample) and find out what gender (though it is test for abnormalities).

Parents who are carriers of certain sex linked genetic diseases - do CVS and can terminate.

The sonographer I had said it might not be accurate and often you didn't get a good clear look between the legs anyway even in 4D. They really only measure NF so u/s time is brief. At 12wks baby is barely 6cms or so - as you can imagine the 'accessories' are miniscule.

I know a few mums now on BB whose bub didn't co-operate at 18 -19 week and still don't know what gender.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I heard that at 13 weeks, a skilled sonographer can tell the gender of the baby, but it can be tricky at that time. It's more accurate and easier to spot at the 18-20 week scan if the sonographer can get a decent look. I don't know about legalities here, I do know some places are happy to let you know and some not, but either way, I don't know of anything official.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I`ve had a number of people ask me this time round if we found out bub`s sex at the NT scan but I didn`t ask, I personally feel better leaving it those few extra weeks and hope what they see at my 20 week scan is more accurate then my 12 week scan.

Melinda Guest

I have never heard of people being able to find out at 12w. We found out at 16w mind you!

i didnt think about the parents who are carriers of gender linked diseases, which is fair enough i guess. but the way this person was talking about it it was as if parents were aborting just because they didnt want a particular gender.

by the sounds of it i guess i will have to wait until 18-20week scan to find out the gender of the baby, i was hoping to find out sooner, only because i am not that patient.

I would've thought its more about suing if they tell you the wrong gender. I have heard of two people very recently (my sister and DD's jazz teacher ) both finding out at 12 weeks, they were both told boy and for both it turns out their girls.

We found out at the 12 week NT scan.. Only after having a CVS, due to a high risk score.. I loved finding out so early, and at least it was a defn gender and not a guesss,,,, but i would have given anything not to have gone through a CVS.. I am hoping that this pregnancy will be different and give a ratio different from the last of 1:12... So fingers crossed

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Little princess -goodluck and thinking of you for 5 weeks or so. That must have been a terrfiying experience though your DD is okay now. You wouldn't want to go through again -not that I know but I can imagine , since they do tell you the risks of CVS.