Thread: Ginger!

Smile Ginger!

My m/s kicked in at about 6 weeks to the day, and seemed to get worse every day last week. Saturday was not good, and Sunday was terrible! I was flat out on the couch all day. So Monday I had to go out and get groceries, and asked about something OTC that I could take for the m/s. The pharmacist recommended ginger tablets, and I am feeling GREAT today! Hurray for ginger!
    But, I am curious if there is such a thing as too much ginger? The papers that came with the bottle of ginger tablets said not to take them if you are pregnant or breastfeeding! So what should I think? I know some of the other ladies here have tried ginger, and the pharmacist did recommend it (knowing I was pg, obviously) but the warning has me a little concerned. Do I have to watch how many I take, or is this just to cover the company's butt, if someday someone blames them for something and tries to sue?

not sure - hopefully some else will have more of an idea, but, i used to just drink Ginger Beer, which i hated, so only ended up doing a few times, but worked a treat. Used to just lay on the couch, and sip away slowly all day.

if it says not to take them then i wouldn't maybe its too strong or has something else in it that is bad for baby???
    maybe try looking for some different ones that say u can take them while preg or try ginger beer like mum2bee suggested?

hmm unusual. It might be too strong or have something else in it that is not ok during pregnancy.

I have Blackmores Morning Sickness Formula which has 400mg of ginger root powder and 25mg of Vitamin B6, and says to have 3 a day. The only warning on the one i have is that the B6 part of it can be bad if used in large doses for a long time.. doesnt say anything about the giner though.

u can get a rasberry one i am pretty sure that is blackmores thats supposed to help with m/s too... i found lollypops helped,and eating plain things like toast or potatoes and someone else said coke can help too in small sips... i heard pepermint can help too but i am not sure about pepermint and pregnancy...

I did a google search and it seems to be advocated rather highly by most websites, some however have said to avoid large doses over an extended period of time due to concerns it may contribute to disformities and m/c but there doesn't seem to be much scientific evidence to back this warning that I can see

Hello,

I too was told to watch my ginger intake- but it is my understanding that you would have to have lot's and lot's and lot's of ginger, more than you could possibly consume. So just take the dose on the tablets and check with your Dr.

I take b6 for m/s which is also NOT recommended during pregnancy but I would have to take 10 tablets a day for it to be harmful.

goodluck

Hi Karina's dosage, as in the Blackmore's formula, is the dosage that was indicated by the study that was done by the Women and Children's Hospital in Adelaide. I wouldn't bother taking more than that, but it is enough to be an effective therapeutic dose.

Ginger is a very common treatment for M/S. Is there someting else mixed in with it?
    Also if you like ginger you don't have to dstick to the tablets You can also have ginger beer. Biscuits, tea and even fresh ginger root

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It's reassuring to hear from others in the same situation. Thanks especially to Alan - good to hear a professional opinion.
    The label on the bottle says that it contains 500mg of ginger root, and the recommended dose is 2 tablets every 4 hours. But I have never taken any more than two in a day. I think that if I stick to that amount (2/day) I should be OK.
    Another quick question - does B6 do pretty much the same thing as ginger, or is it more for bloating, and keeping your digestive system running smoothly? I noticed in the store that it was listed as a digestive aid, or something like that. Should I take both?

Babycenter.com state:

"Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, aids your body's metabolism of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. It also helps convert amino acids and form new red blood cells, antibodies, and neurotransmitters, and is vital to your fetus's developing brain and nervous system. Research shows that the vitamin may relieve nausea or vomiting for some women during pregnancy, though no one knows for sure why it works."

LizzysMum Guest

I have been cutting up a little ginger root and steeping it in hot water to make a tea. It does work and you are not eating the ginger so I think it is very safe when you are pregnant, maybe the tablets have the warning becasue you are actually consuming the powdered root?

Buderim ginger bears and ginger marmalade are also OK.

Thanks for the B6 info, Celtic. I think I might go see if I can get some next time I'm out.

I've been eating pickled ginger (like you can get with sushi) and putting it into the ricepaper rolls I have for lunch.