Thread: Green Tea

Default Green Tea

Hi
    Just wondering if I can have green tea in the first tri? I usually drink tea or coffee but have given it up since finding out I am pg. Is green tea better or does it have the same amount of caffeine?
    Thanks
    Karen

Kirsty77 Guest

Apparently green tea reduces the amount of folic in your system.I read this a mother and baby mag.Not sure how true it is though. I avoided it anyway as I don't like the taste.

I think it contains less caffeine than both coffee and black tea, so I assume it wouldnt be too bad. I havent heard about it reducing the folate uptake, but would be interested to know if that is indeed true...

Melbaby06 Guest

I read up about Green Tea because I love it!

Unfortunately it has been shown to reduce folate uptake, and studies have also showed a decrease in fertility (not that it worried us though ) but who can trust everything you read on the net anyway.

The caffeine content depends on how you drink it. If you let the leaves soak in the bottom of the cup and just keep refilling with hot water, then the caffeine content is actually very high (which is how I normally like to drink it ) but if you use tea bags and just dip and remove like a normal tea bag then the caffeine level is the same as other tea varieties.

I am avoiding it at the moment but will probably start drinking it at the end of the pregnancy.
    Mel

You can have up to 300mg caffeine per day while pregnant.. i avoided it in the 1st tri too, just outta paranoia

I have stopped having green tea since I found out I was pregnant. Mind you I have had a few weak coffees, my body was just craving them for a while there.