Thread: Hair coloring - Can or can't??

Default Hair coloring - Can or can't??

Does anyone know if it is safe to use the normal hair dyes or if you should use only the henna brand?

I had read that you shouldn't dye but then I spoke to a hairdresser and she said it doesn't do any harm at all.
    So now I'm a little confused!
    What do you think?

thanks.

I always dye my hair when I'm pg. Someone else will be able to give you a more technical answer, but I know heaps of women that dye their hair throughout the whole 9 months.

You can always ring the number on your hair dye packet....they'll soon enough let you know.

My HD said usually it is fine, but as I have lost 4 little ones I should hold off until 13 weeks "just to be careful" She did say foils are better as they don't really touch the scalp. I now have a lovely runway that I am wearing headbands to cover.

With DD I did it through the whole pregnancy with no problems.

LOL at the runway. I have an Elvira strip...

My hairdresser said there is no known risk at all. Although her treatments (belliage - painting the blonde in) doesn't touch the scalp at all.

There is so many myths out there when it comes to being pregnant!

I did read in the book "What to expect when you are expecting" that urine testing done 1 hour after hair was dyed showed the poison in it (or something to that extent)so I opted not to dye mye hair when I was pg. I'm dark and had a dark coloured dye so it wasn't too bad and as I was growing my hair at the time i just pulled it back.

Emma,
    Funny you should say that... When I was pregnant with Noah... I was getting my hair dyed for my wedding, and it didn't come out the right colour... It was still very yellow blonde. I found out a week later I was pregnant.

This time, I went to make my hair a slightly darker blonde, and it didnt work !!
    So I got another dye, and it came out very different to how it was meant to.
    I said to my DH... I bet i'm pregnant and that the reason the hair dyes didn't work right... 2 days later, I found out i'm pregnant !!!

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, there is currently an article on pregnancy myths that I was reading yesterday. I think it's this months issue of Pregnancy & Birth which says that it's perfectly fine to dye your hair during pregnancy and that the danger is not to the baby but that your hair is different during pregnancy so the colour or condition may turn out differently to what your used.

Hope this helps, the mag is available from leading newsagencies and target stores if you want to check it out.

Sharon

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, the article I was referring to is on page 34 of the May/June Pregnancy & Birth magazine and the article is called Pregnancy Health Quiz. It's $6.95 to buy.

During my last preg' I didn't dye my hair at all but boy it looked horrible with all of the dark roots well and truly showing through!
    But the idea of having a different color than what is s'posed to be scares me more! LOL.
    Maybe I'll just stick to putting it up and using combs and whatever clever tricks I can come up with to cover it:-)
    Thanks for your comments everyone!

goldilocks Guest

Ooh, great question Hind! I've been wondering the same thing myself as my roots are starting to look awful and I need a touch up! LOL

I bought a semi-permanent rinse so I'm going to try that out...apparently the chemicals aren't as strong as in permanent dyes. Maybe you could try the same thing? My hair is blonde so unfortunately I'll probably need something stronger, but if you have dark hair a rinse might work really well!

I'm thinking about just doing highlights, at least for the first trimester. At least the dye won't touch my scalp so it should be harmless enough.

Good luck!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

Guys it's perfectly fine, my sister is a hairdresser, the only thing that colour can do to you while pregnant is that the color may not work out, Foils are the safest bet as they do n ot touch the scalp, so what i do to hide the gray they put in blonde foils and it looks great.
    I have got the What to Expect When You Are Expecting and it mentions that no clinical studies have been done to back up their theory.

I chose not to colour my hair, even tho my HD said it would be safe. I think too that you need to be careful that your skin/scalp isn't more sensitive during pg. I think it worried me more that it would burn my scalp or something.

ETA. I think it's interesting that people who assure us that colouring is safe then go on to say that foils are better because they don't touch the scalp?? So then ones that DO touch the scalp must be less safe afterall? Like I said, I chose not to colour. Mind you.. our pg was planned, so before hand I had my hair dyed to a colour that wouldn't show the regrowth as dramatically.

Mum's hairdresser said she had dyed lots of people's hair while they were pregnant. I waited just incase until i was about 11.5 weeks before i did (i do it myself at home), and now do it every 10 weeks or so adn the colour comes out the way it always did.
    My book says that there has been nothing proven that hair dye causes problems during pregnancy, but if youre worried, wait until you reach the 12 week mark or just have streaks/foils done which are done mostly away from the scalp. I think it just says this to easy people's concerns rather than meaning dying is worse than streaks/foils?

i agree with kellx, It is just a reasurance with foils, I have asked my obs and said it was okay to colour there is nothing to back up the theory that it causes damage to the fetus as smoking does!!! Really it is up to the individual if they comfortable with colouring, which i do. The way i look at it there are so many chemicals and dyes in the food we eat and in the air we breathe, even the makeup we put on our faces are full of chemicals that penetrate the skin.it's up to your conscience.