Thread: Hair Dyes

yvette Guest

Default Hair Dyes

Hello All,

Has anyone of you had permanent hair dyes during your first trimester pregnancy. I normally have regular hair colour when I wasn't pregnant. Im just having a dilemma at the moment if it's safe for the bub. My OB advised me it's OK but I've read so many articles that it might be unsafe. I probably would just sacrifice my vanity for my bub.

Any hair dye dilemma experience during pregnancy would be greatly appreciated.

All the best to everyone!

motherduck Guest

I think most of them are safer now than they were before, as long as you stay away for the ones with amonia hope that helps.

Most hairdressers have pregnant friendly dyes. Obviously ask your hairdresser as he/she'll be informed as to what's safe I imagine. There's always henna dyes too..

Can I hijack the thread and ask about those 20 wash hair colours please? I prefer those because I don't really change my haircolour, I just like to even out the tone and give it some shine without getting regrowth.

Are those products safe?

kizzy Guest

I found this on What's good for You - Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts.

Taboo number eight: you can't dye your hair

This one's been doing the rounds for a while, that dying your hair can harm your baby. You'll be glad to know this one is false.

During a dying session, very little chemical is used, and it's certainly not enough to cause problems if it's absorbed by your skin.

Rest assured, if you can't live without your 'do' — you don't have to.

I died my hair a few weeks ago. I thought the same thing about that and also perming etc...but when I was pg with Joshua my hairdresser said that more of the "taboo" as such actually came from the fact that it doesn't always take as well if you're pg.

Kizzy, did you get that from "What's Good For You"? I watched that show and then DH saw the things on ninemsn and goes oh here is something you can read...lol.

I dyed my hair with a permanent many time whilst I was pg. The reason I had to dye it many times though is because of hormonal changes thanks to being pg... my hair was not holding onto the dye at all... so it never turned out properly - ie, I would be left with orange hair, instead of dark red... blergh!!

I have read that the did urine tests after dying hair and harmful chemicals were found. I dyed my hair but made sure it didn't touch my scalp (very difficult - my DH made a great hairdresser). You can get herbal dyes from health food shops. I always go by better to be safe than sorry!

I stumbled across something in The Sunday Mail newspaper yesterday about a hair colour which has no ammonia or peroxide. It activates with water...I thought very interesting. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to put the name or web address here, but feel free to email me [email protected]

It is perfectly safe to colour your hair while pregnant. You can use permanent or semi permanent colours..... Colours these days are a lot more gentler than they were 20 years ago. I coloured my hair and worked with colours with my 1st pregnancy and he is/was fine.

Those 20 washes colours are fine too. All they do is add colour. You may just find they won't hold as long as normal.

As for finding chemicals in your hair, you will find that if you colour you hair. If someone is taking asprin you can find traces of it in there hair (not with the naked eye of course, but when hair is tested they found traces of it).

I say go for it if you want to colour you hair.

Hi
    Can I ask a sort-of related question? (Sorry for jumping on your thread yvette) - can you use hair bleaches whilst pregnant. I have very dark hair and every 6wks or so bleach my upper-lip hair with Nivea hair bleach. Could this cause problems do you think?
    Thanks.

I use bleach on my upper lip....I think I rang the number on the bottom of the pack before using it (brand was Nair) though. As long as you don't smear it all over your skin, and keep it to the hair I think it's ok......but ring that number to check