Thread: having trouble with diet

Thumbs down having trouble with diet

hey there i am 8 weeks and 2 days today and since the preg symptoms started i can't remember eating something healthy!!!!
    i dnt know why but i crave really fatty or unhealthy foods and if i eat things i don't really feel like at the time i feel terrible afterwards!!!! is my baby a jumk food addict lol???
    i don't know what to do i have supplements but most the time i can't keep them down i am going to bed dehydrated coz i am finding it very hard to drink water...
    i am really worried about the health of the baby any ideas???

Hi Nonie

Some junk food will not really do you any harm. However you really should try to eat some good foods. Try mixing a small amount of your junk food with a salad or some vegies. With your dehydration try having small sips of water very often. You need to try to drink al least 2 litres of water a day

yeah i am really worried because i would be lucky to be reaching half a litre a day i just can't seem to get it down!!!!

hay there,

i went on the low GI diet throughout my pregnancy and i found it fantastic. My Ob told me about it. they thought last time i may have had GD towards the end, so this time i have stuck to it the whole way, and i only put on 8.5kgs and im 37 weeks pregnant last time i was a mega junk food eater and put on 30kgs. you can get books about the diet from the book store, maybe try something like that. i hope that helps and have a great healthy pregnancy.
    * maybe also try half freezing your water and eat on the ice. im not a huge water drinker either but i have 5 600ml water bottles in the fridge and force mayself to sip on them but the ice thing really helps. or lemon or lime in your water?

take care. TG

I have also heard the the low GI diet is the healthiest 'diet' to follow if needed thru out your pregnancy.
    In my first trim, the only thing i really wanted to eat was lasanage, spag, and other tomatoe based foods. I used to be huge into veges, but, i went right off them. Partly i think because i couldnt of been bothered taking the time to prepare them.
    I was worried as well that my 'not eating healthy' would do damage to the baby, but, i wasnt major vomity, so, at least what i was eating, mostly was staying down. And my theory is that was better then forcing my self to eat what was good for me, only to have to throw it up again - KWIM. With my tablets, instead of taking 2 everymorning, i would perhaps take in the evening, when i wasnt feeling so bad, or take 1 i the morning, and 1 in the evening.
    Even know, with multivitamins, i find its better for me to have them at the beginning of my meal/breakfast, rather then the end, as that swallowing motion of tablet seems to have a bad effect on me.
    Drink lots of little bits of water during the day, try icy poles as well maybe if ice gets to boring.

I just had a quick look at book - "what to expect when your expecting" i remember reading it when i was worried about not eating enough/healthy enough for bubs, relating to 1st tri, it says that
    the typical case of morning sickness rarely interferes with proper nutrition enough to harm the developing fetus. Even woman who actually lose weight during the first few months becuase they have had a hard time keeping any food down are not hurting their baby - as long as they make up for any lost weight in later months

I reckon a lil bit of cordial here and there is answer if you're having trouble drinking water!

Instead of concentrating on what you can't eat, try to think about what you should be eating that's nice and how good you will feel knowing all that nourishment is headed straight for baby!!

My thing is, I really crave salty, savoury tasting things (ie I'd eat protein all day long if I didn't have to face the dietician every three weeks and I'm actually quite scared of her these days LOL). So I think about the essence of what I want (ie hot and salty and savoury) and I think about a way to have that - some hot noodle and veggie soup, a lean hot chicken and salad roll, a cheese and tomato toastie, baked beans. It works for me as I am the biggest food addict but so far this PG I am eating so much waaaay healthier.

I second all the comments about low GI - it definitely helps you to curb your hunger.

thanx for all the tips guys its hard being my first preg worrying about whats getting to the baby and not eating well enough... i am not throwing up but if i eat things i don't feel like eating i am coming very close yuk....
    my mains seem to be bread or pasta theres alot of junk in there as well occassionally there will be some chicken in there or something but not many vegies or fruit coz i find the taste too strong....
    i was drinking cordial but its the amount of fluid idk i was a big coke drinker and the consistancy is very different i am trying to cut down now but can't seem to up the water or fluids iykwim...