Thread: Hayfever

Default Hayfever

Does anyone know if there is anything safe to take for hayfever while pregnant?? I am suffering so much but too scared to take anything and cant see my doc til monday night.

Thanks

I wish I could help Alison, but I'm not too sure myself....
    Are you able to go and ask at the pharmacy? Make sure you speak to a trained pharmacist, and they should be able to advise on whether there is anything that is safe to take...
    You poor thing, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks Ambah, but I dont trust pharmasists when it comes to medications and pregnancy. I just feel safer asking a doctor. Was just hoping that someone on here might have suffered from hayfever too.

Yup... I had terrible sinus headaches a few weeks ago. Still get the odd one, but I was laid up for a week or 2 coz there was nothing I could take I rang my OB and he said he'd prefer me not to take anything except panadol (or panadeine). But they just didn't work, and I started feeling guilty taking it all the time. I knew all I needed was an anti-inflammatory for my sinuses.. but can't take it. So I was laying down with a cold flannel on my forehead/neck/over my eyes. It was the only relief I could get.

I know that nasal sprays have cortisteroids in them that you can't take. I did use Fess nasal spray which is just a saline solution. That can help flush out allergens, and you can spray as many times as you need!

Other than that, I don't think theres a lot you can take I hope it eases up for you soon. Only one more month of spring left!

I had awful hayfever during PG and found Fess was the only thing I could use. If you look on the main site there is some information on Physomer saline spray which is what we use in our house now because of having less additives

I didn't have any congestion... just pain! Other years I've just taken nurofen and it's relieved it, but couldn't while pg. So mine may be different. I didn't have a need for decongestant or anything to help with my breathing. But he did say he'd rather I didn't have it. Maybe that implied if I really needed something I could take it? Mine's eased up now to just an occasional headache that pandadol DOES help with, so I'm glad that bit's over.

I tend to keep in mind if things are that bad, it's better for the baby to take something and function more normally, than to lie around suffering and not eat properly and not sleep properly. (That's how I kept justifying all the panadol etc I was taking.. I was feeling really guilty at one stage.. even tho I know it's safe)

I was going to post this topic this morning! I read some of the replies and went and bought some saline nasal spray and its definately giving me some relief!! Thanks girls!

Lisa

I have been suffering from hayfever too and I spoke to my OB, a midwife and a chemist and they all said that Claratyne was ok to take on occassion also.

I must say it does help when you are having one of those days where you feel like you are going to DIE from the pain in your head.

The other thing I try and do is inhale some levander oil or something to clear up the senses.

How bizarre I've been given the complete opp info to all of you LOL!

I've been told drowsy antihistamines are fine (like polaromine) but to stay away from non drowsy as they haven't fully been tested not sure of their category but I know polaromine is cat A.

*hugs*
    Cailin

try some pinapple. seriously it is a natural antihystimean (sp?). i have to be careful as i get bad hayfever that sets off my asthma and can land me in hospital, my ob recommended the pinapple and i have not had a problem with hayfever since i have fallen pregnant. i eat one small tin of it a day.

wow... how interesting. Now there's a remedy I will try! My MIL reckons too much pineapple can make you lose the baby (*sigh* some kind of asian wives tale I haven't heard probably)

Both my OB and a very good Pharmacist told me to take Polaramine when I came down with a cold when I was pregnant, Polaramine is safe but even knowing that I only took it once a day and that was just before going to bed.

Honestly when it comes to meds, ask your chemist. They have the updated category listing for each drug and they know when its safe or not. Ask to speak to the pharmacist though, don't trust the person at the counter

*hugs*
    Cailin