Thread: Hearing the HB with Doppler..... how early?

layla Guest

Default Hearing the HB with Doppler..... how early?

Hi girls, just a quick question:
    How early can the doc pick up the baby's heartbeat using a doppler machine?
    I'm going on holiday on Saturday and for some reason I think I'd feel much better if I heard the HB before we went.
    I'm really paranoid that something has gone wrong and I won't find out until we are away. I have no reason to think anything is wrong, I'm just being paranoid.
    I had a scan at 8 weeks but that feels like years ago.
    Anyway, I'm going in to have a blood test on Friday and if the doc would be able to hear the heartbeat at that stage (11 weeks) I might make an appt to see him too.
    Thanks

I was 14wks when they first heard Kameron's heartbeat with the doppler.

Love

When i had my first midwife appt she said it was 12 weeks before they could hear the HB. Mine was heard at nearly 14 weeks.

It was around 14 weeks for me too.

Have a great holiday!!

Layla, I think most OB`s don`t attempt to listen until after the 14 wk mark.

Take Care

Deeanne

Pietta Guest

I am pretty sure mine was at my first ante natal appointment which was also 14 weeks. It is such a wonderful thing to hear :-)

Lou Guest

Default hearing heartbeat with doppler

My Ob tried to hear baby's hb at 12w and 1 day but couldn't pick it up. of course i panicked but he reassured me this was nothing to be concerned about. I stressed about it over XMas and nearly convinced myself I had had a missed miscarriage (I think reading too much about this does more harm than good) my uterus is definately growing so i feel lot better, however I am quite anxious about my appointment with the midwife in a week as I really want to hear the heartbeat - I will be 16 weeks then. Did anyone's breasts lose their tenderness at around 13-14 weeks. Mine have never really been sore, mainly firm. This has happened to me but they are still big and still look like pregnant breasts (this was another reason why I started thinking something was wrong until I read this was normal). I also get that dizzy feeling when I stand up and can't see for about 5 seconds. This seems to happen more so when it is hot and if I have been lying down

layla Guest

Thanks for all the replies!
    I won't bother asking if my doc can hear the HB. I'll only stress out if he tries and can't pick it up. (I can imagine how you feel Lou.)
    I guess I just have to trust that everything is alright and wait for my 12 week scan. 8-[

Yup, I picked up the HB at about 12.5 weeks. I'm positive I could have picked it up earlier though had I been looking in the right spot. I'd tried to hear it since 11w but I had been searching too low (which apparently is quite uncommon as most people usually search for it too high!). Early on in a pg you're supposed to find the HB right above the pubic bone/hairline but I actually found it just over an inch above there! But maybe my uterus/bub is just sitting higher than average... my OB said today that the top of my uterus is at my belly button already!

layla Guest

Thanks Angel, I might get one of those machine thingy's then anyway. Not that it will help me right now but over the next few months I reckon it would be a great way to ease a worrying mind. 8-[