Thread: Heart beat at 6 weeks

Default Heart beat at 6 weeks

Hi!

I went for a dating ultrasound today and found out that I am 6 weeks 2 days and not 7 weeks as my LMP predicted. I thought I had ovulated later and the HPT tests weren't positive until later than you would expect. It didn't show up + until 20 days past ovulation so it makes sense that I would be a bit earlier in my pregnancy.

During the ultrasound the sonographer found it hard to find the sac and then the embryo, but finally found it but couldn't pick up a heartbeat! Being a bit of a stress head I have freaked out! The reason I had this was to check the dates and to see the heartbeat. Most resources(books/net) I have consulted have said that you should be able to see the heartbeat at 6 weeks. Can it be a bit later? I will speak to my doctor in a day or two and will have another ultrasound in 10 days but right now can anyone reassure me that it is common for it not to be seen until a bit later.

I have been feeling quite nauseous the last few days and I am extremely tired so that's all good but I just want to see a heartbeat!

Thanks so much. It's great to be able to come on here and find out others experiences.

i didnt see mine until 7 weeks, so dont stress best of luck

Hey Louky

Yeah...I've heard it can be later too...we did get a heartbeat at 6 weeks but our Ob. said we were really lucky to see it then...

So...hang in there (easy to say, I know!)...and take care of yourself!

i seen mine at 5 weeks and 2 days i think it was. It was an internal u/s thou.
    Well, correction actually, i 'pretended' to see it, the u/s operator pointed it out, but the screen was a few mtrs away, difficult to move, but dh walked up to the screen and could see it.

at 5w5d my baby didnt have a heartbeat, but at 7w2d it did

It's fairly common not to see it at 6w2d.
    I saw it at 6w2d with my DS with an internal scan. But my OB commented "wow this bubs heart must have only just started beating" because that day it was 114bpm. It starts out slow and speeds up over the next few weeks. He also warned me before he checked that we may not see it and that he wouldn't be worried if we didnt. I bet next time you have a scan it will be fluttering away.
    Congrats

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I guess I expected to see it at 7 weeks(although I am now only 6 wks 2 days) but it's good to know that it's not always possible.

I just can't wait to see that little heart beating!

I am 5w3d I think, my Dr didn't ask me or tell me a single thing so I am wondering if/when/how I would go about getting the dating ultrasound? Did your Dr refer you to someone?

I went for a scan with DS at 6wks but couldn't find much, there was a sac and with internal u/s she could see the polar bodies and the yolk sac which was the beginning of a baby. I had to wait 2wks to see the hb at 8wks. HTH and good luck in 10days

Hi cazzacan,

We weren't sure of my dates as I had only had one cycle off the pill and thought that i may have ovulated 4 or 5 days later than expected. Given that a PG test wasn't positive until 6 days after my period should be due it also backed up what I thought and that I may have been a bit out. I also said to my doctor that I was a little stressed and worried and didn't know if I could wait til 12 weeks. She said "well would you like a dating scan to put your mind at ease" and wrote a referral to go to a clinic to get the scan.

UPDATE:
    My doctor rang me tonight to say she had got the report and wants me to get my bloods done and compare the HCG levels to Monday to make sure everything is going OK. She knew I would be freaking out so that's why she rang!She said it could be too early or that I am going to miscarry. It is not what I want to hear. I really feel I could not handle that.

I am absolutely terrified...cross your fingers for me everyone.

Louky, oh no, that is not a good thing to hear. Hopefully all will work out for you when you get your blood results.
    Fingers crossed for you - big hugs

Fingers Crossed for you xxx

Princess1979 Guest

Louky,

Hi! I am only 6 weeks as well and I asked my GP to send me for an ultra sound, and she said to wait a few more weeks, other wise I might be dissapointed when I don't hear a heart beat. Just hang in there for a week or so. I'm hanging in there!!
    Good Luck with everything!

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all your replies...it has really helped.

FANTASTIC NEWS! My doctor called and my levels have doubled in the last 2-3 days and also going by that I am earlier than I thought and she believes that is why we did not see a heartbeat yet! All normal and nothing to worry about.

Such relief!!
    Hopefully soon I will have some of my own experiences to encourage others! I am not that experienced yet!

Thanks again

:biggrin: Woo hoo - that is great news!!:biggrin:

At 5w 5d we saw the sack during a dating scan and we saw the heartbeat at 8 weeks follow up scan. It is extremely normal not to be able to see the heartbeat that early.

Also if you have a retroverted uterus (nothing to worry about) it can be very hard to see a heartbeat on ultrasound - sometimes it can take up to 10 weeks.

Im sure you and bubs will be fine....good luck hun