Thread: Heart murmer

Default Heart murmer

I just had my first doctors appointment and he found a heart murmer... i am off to a cardiologist on monday. Apparently this could cause a problem.... any one heard of this... i am freaking out a little

Melinda Guest

I'm sorry to hear that hopeful mum....unfortunately I don't know anything about heart murmurs, but I hope that everything turns out well for you.

Please let us know how you get on and good luck.

rails Guest

Hi hopeful mum,

I was born with a heart murmer, which is an irregular heart beat. I eventually grew out of it by the age of 14, which is common I think when you are born with it. I did not even notice I had the condition apart from my mum mentioning it everytime I went to the doctors. I was still very active with sports etc as well as any other child.

I would say you don't really have to stress out to much. I'm not sure of your exact condition & I am not a doctor & also don't know how it affects someone who is pg - I myself will have it checked again when I go for my appointment. But from what I understand a heart murmer is just an extra beat.

hope this helps ...

Hi Hopeful_mum,

From what I understand, most heart murmers are benign and shouldn't cause the person any problems. Others, that are pathologic, are usually to do with a defect of the valves of the heart. It's unlikely to be the second kind if you haven't been told of a significant murmur before this, as it's usually congential (from birth), or as the result of rheumatic fever or endocarditis (in which case you'd know if you'd had those).

My dad was born with a congenital heart valve defect, and when I was a teenager my Doctor heard a heart murmur in me too. They had to check it out because of the family history, but it turned out to be nothing.

It is possible to have a murmur detected and have completely normal cardiac structure and function. Murmurs can be detected in most young people at some time or another.

Keep in mind that the heart has to work a lot harder when you're pregnant than when you're not. You have more blood pumping around at higher pressure. Murmurs can be caused by blood being forced through a tight heart valve.

It's good to get it checked out. Hopefully the news will be good - then at least you can stop freaking out about it! The cardiologist will probably just hook you up to an ECG and take a print out of your heart rhythm that way.

Hope that's helpful? I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly!!

Best of luck with it all!!

Juliette

I too had a heart murmur which I grew out of when I was young, but abour 4 years ago they heard another one & I had to get heaps of tests run etc, and it all turned out to be okay, I hope that will be your case too!

Hi Hopeful Mum

Have you had a heart murmur before?

When I went to my GP at 4 weeks pg, he picked up a heart murmur then he sent me for an ultrasound as he said he didn`t want me to go into heart fgailure - well that made me feel wonderful!!!!! He also said heart murmurs are quite common in pg, thank goodness it turned out okay and it`s only because of the pregnancy.

Also the Dr who performed the heart ultrasound mentioned to me it was okay and she sees very very few major cases.

Keep your chin up and hopefully your like me just one of these people with a pg heart murmur.

Take Care

Deeanne

thank you sooo much.... i know it will probibly not be a problem but when he rang the cardiologist and asked witing period and they said 2 months he said "trat this as urgent".... very re assuring... but then he said to me not to freak out ... lol... as if i wasn't.... feeling better now, will just wait and see

Hi Hopeful Mum

Just letting you know my ultrasound was urgent also, they don`t want you to wait around for 2 months before they get results as within that time there be more and more blow flowing around and a lot more strain put on your heart if it`s other then pg related.

Your going through the same steps as I did when I was 4 weeks, I was terrified, imagining I could drop dead at any minute, DH was trying to reassure me it was only pg related but the mind is a powerful object.

Good Luck on Monday, I`ll be back from holidays on Friday so I`ll see how you got on then.

Take Care

Deeanne