Thread: Heartburn??

Joy3 Guest

Default Heartburn??

Hi- have never suffered from it before, but think that it might be starting.
    Have had a pain in my chest - not painful or anything- just annoying.
    Would this be heartburn? I'm 8 weeks- is this a common symptom?

Hi Joy
    Yes it sounds like it could be heartburn. Unfortunately it is common in pregnancy. There are many preparations that you can use to help, Mylanta, Rennie, Quick ease, to name just a few. The effectiveness of these products will differ for each person. You will need to find one that works for you.
    Other things you could try is to reduce the amount of spicy foods and foods high in acid or fat. Eat smaller meals more often. Do not eat a meal within 2 hours of going to bed. (a small snack should be ok)

HI Joy! I also found that eating dairy things like yoghurt, milk...helped and i steered clear of really carby or starchy things like potatoes, pasta.... as they would irritate me. Propping yourself up on some pillows in bed, so that you are never lying flat, also helps. Packs of Rennie and Quickeaze were very helpful - pop some in your handbag

Joy3 Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks girls! Thought it was unlikely I was having a heart attack at 27!
    I'll pop off to the chemist at lunch to buy some relief. Hopefully it will work!
    Is it always caused by food- or can you just get heartburn from being pregnant?

Hey Joy, I get heartburn from eating spicey or fatty food, but I think you're just more susceptable during pregnancy. Beware - eating those rennies is like chewing on chalk LOL, they help though.

Hi Joy,
    You poor love. Heartburn/indigestion/gastric reflux is an awful side effect to pregnancy for many of us. Yes, it can just be caused by pregnancy and the effects are exacerbated often by what we eat. Basically that lovely progesterone is working it's magic and reflux often results.
    If you have any doubt that this isn't indigestion make sure you see a doctor...

I wold like to add that it is important not to take any preparation that has aluminium in it when you are pregnant. Gaviscon and Rennies are very safe. Ihave used slippery elm bark powder with water added mixed to a liquid and this helped me. If it gets worse and it is likely - I would mention it to your care provider. You can take medication in tablet form that is like heaven to a bad reflux sufferer!

I had it for quite a while and has actually eased off a bit for me of late...except if I eat garlic...lol. Fruit tingles and rennies are great and I found something else (actually DH suggested it and it worked)..lemonade!! He came home one day and I'd tried everything I could think of from milk to rennies and in between...he went and got lemonade and what do ya know...it worked!! Must be the fizz??

Sounds like heartburn to me! I've been getting it for a week now and keep forgeting to buy fruit tingles to try. But I am loving Mylanta tablets! I'm finding I get it more from carbs like bread than anything else.

MG

chelleg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    the girls suggested Fruit Tingles!! Well, i went and bought a 4 pack and 2 packs are already gone It definately does help with the heartburn AND the m/s Im very happy!
    They're the best huh? As soon as any women tell me they're having reflux i get them straight on to the Fruit Tingles. Glad to hear they're working well

AAhh, bananas and vegemite!!!!!!
    Steer clear of those as well as the garlic, and spicy stuff
    I will have to get some fruit tingles in the morning. If I do alot of bending and picking stuff off the ground, the heartburn gets terrible!!