Thread: Hospital booking

Question Hospital booking

Ok, so I know I am going to have to call the hospital at some stage & book in (I'm planning to go to Liverpool Public). I don't really know what I'm doing - so some of these questions may sound silly (sorry!!).

* who do I need to speak to at the hospital?
    * what am I asking for?
    * when are they going to want to see me? (how soon do I need to call them?)
    * What stuff should I have done before I see them? (My doctor wants me to go for a blood test - is there anything else)

Any advice for a clue-less newbie??

Thanks for your help!!!

Ezz.

Congrats on your pregnancy

I also went to a public hospital, but not Liverpool...
    Anyway, this is what I did:
    I looked up on my hospitals website the phone number for 'maternity bookings' at that hospital and rang the day after I found out I was pregnant. I pretty much just rang and said "hi, I am pregnant and want to have my baby at this hospital". I'm sure they get alot of people who arent too sure what they need to say. The lady I spoke to asked me all the questions to get the info they needed. She told me about the type of care available (eg Team midwives, antenatal clinic, shared care etc) and asked me which one I wanted. She then mailed me a booking in form and an info package. I had to send the booking in form back ASAP so I wouldnt miss out, and then call back when I was 6 - 8 weeks pregnant to make an appointment to see a midwife about "booking in". They also sent me a letter telling me to have a blood test and gave me a list of all the things they needed tested. I had this blood test at about 9 weeks and then I had the booking in appointment when I was about 10 weeks. The booking in appointment was basically just the midwife talking to me about my medical history and a little about hubbys medical history. She also asked a few other questons like whether or not the baby was planned, how we are feeling about the pregnancy and things like that. We were given a referral for ultrasounds, told when to book our next appointment for and a whole lot of pamphlets about things like antenatal classes and listeria.

hope that helps somewhat?
    Last edited by Karina; April 4th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

With DD my dr gave me a referral letter, i called the maternity ward, they booked me in and organised a booking in appointment. They should tell you where to go etc.

Most of the time your GP will have ordered bloods and scans if your unsure of LMP.

This time round my GP faxed off my form and the hospital contacted me and booked me in and gave me a date and time to come see them, asked if id had bloods and scans done already, and that was about all.

Thats what ur GP is there for....dont feel silly....ask questions!!

Smile

Thanks Karina! Your daughter is beautiful! Congrats!

As far as I can tell, Liverpool doesn't have a website (I've been looking!). But I guess if I call the switchboard & ask them to put me through, then I can sort it out with the people in maternity bookings. It's funny how we feel like we are the only ones who are going to sound silly or don't know what to say - but I guess most first-time Mums don't know the procedures.

Ezz thanks, i think she's pretty beautiful too.

I'm sure you can just call the main switch number for Liverpool hospital and they can put you through to the people who sort out bookings for Maternity. Dont worry about not knowing what to do - I didnt know either, but when I called they were really nice and told me everything.

If I were you, I'd be booking pretty soon. I went to Royal north shore hospital, but I was told that it was good that I booked immediately because if I had left it a few more weeks I may have missed out on having a definate booking.

I gave them a call this afternoon (just after I sent my last post) & they had left for the day. But at least I know what to ask for when I call tomorrow - it's "Maternity Bookings" & they close at 4:45.

Thanks for your help!