Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "the human body"

Default "the human body"

did anyone see "the human body" on t.v. last night. it was a doco about conception and pregnancy and they used microscopic cameras to track the development of the baby in the womb. it was very interesting. it was a little bit scary too though. the guy said that 4 out of 5 embryos dont make it past the 8 week mark. that is a fairly high statistic dont you think?

kirsty Guest

We watched it too, when it said that my DH said "guess you didn't need to know that did you?" & I said "as a pg woman who is yet to hit the 8wk mark, NO!!"

But I found it so interesting to watch, you don't realise how much it actually takes to fall pg, sometimes I wonder how we manage it at all!!

But it was great & very informative to watch & I bawled my eyes out when she gave birth.

yeah i know how you feel. i kinda felt a bit worried and anxious after watching the doco, as i am only 7 weeks at the moment. i didnt so much cry when she gave birth, though it was very touching, i just kept thinking 'OWW' and how on earth am i going to be able to do that.

kirsty Guest

I'm sure when the time comes you'll do just fine Hollo.

Actually it worries me a bit too, as my first child was born by emergency c-section, although our angel baby was born naturally. But that being said I delivered him at 18w5d gestation so he wasn't very big, but the contractions were real enough no matter how big the end product was & they were scary at times!!

I first saw is a couple of years ago on TV. It was just after I had our first child and it was still an eye-opener for me, especially the giving birth bit (bit hard to see everything from where I was LOL!). I asked DH is that what it really looked like when we had DS and he said Yep!

sherieb

oww I missed it, Damn

mooshie Guest

i watched this great show. i remember it was on the abc a few years back but i missed the first few episodes.

unfortunately i had to take a phone call and went outside so i could hear so i missed the birth bit - when i came in ds was so excited he had seen a baby being born :-k , he was in the playroom when i went outside he must of came in to see the tv to see what was going on - he is 5 1/2yrs old and asking questions you know the ones - how do babies get here, etc etc so am glad in a way he saw it, just unfortunate i wasn't there with him to answer any questions at the time, he hasn't mentioned it yet today, but i am prepared for questions to come in the next few days lol.

I watched some of it too - pretty amazing. As for the 4 out of 5 statistic - I would love to know where that came from - I have never heard of it being so high? It just doesnt sound right to me at all?

Yeah i watched it too. Pretty amazing and i learnt a few things i didn't know aswell!

That 4 out of 5 thing doesnt seem right to me either... :-k

I also watched it last night, and being 8 weeks today - also got freaked out by his rather high statistic - i have never ever heard it being that high. I think i'll need to surf the net to find out where he got his funny looking statistic from. It was weird though because being newly pregnant and worrying about m/c, watching it last night with my dh - we just looked at each other in shock when he read that statistic out.

I taped it and put it in Eliza's keepsake box.
    Because she was concieved with IVF, I want to explain that we saw her when she was just a wee 6 cell embro...and we fell in love with her then!
    Bec
    * Sounds alittle silly I supose

The 4 out of 5 thing would include any time up to 8 weeks, which of course includes (I forget the proper name for them) miscarriages that would seem like AF is a day or 2 late... which a lot of people wouldn't detect unless they were super keen pg testers. So it could be right I guess :-k
    It still does seem like a lot.... 80%!!
    hmmm..

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I would have to say being a BBC documentary (made in 1998) it would be subject to much intense scrutiny before being produced and he a real DR too.

I have heard 1 in 4 recognised pregnancies end in m/c but my guess is his figures would include also the conceptions that take place but only last a few days - and these you would never know about as HCG is only detected after implantation of embryo which takes place 5-6 days after conception -then takes a few more days till bloodtest would detect HCG too.

Miscarriage is the most common type of pregnancy loss, according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology(ACOG). Studies reveal that anywhere from 10- 25% of all clinically recognized pregnancies will end in miscarriage. Estimations of chemical pregnancies or unrecognized pregnancies that are lost can be as high as 50-75%, but many of these are unknown since they often happen before a woman has missed a period or is aware she is pregnant.
    It probably explains why some people though actively ttc - can take up to a year before they consider it a problem worth investigating.

You can buy the video or DVD set -

In the Womb is another excellent one too

I think you will find that the presenter knew what he was talking about with regard to pregnancies. Here is what I could find on him

Dr. Robert Winston, Professor of Fertility Studies at London University's Imperial College School of Medicine, is Europe's foremost infertility expert. As Chairman of England's House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology, Lord Winston is a leading voice in the British Parliament on health, scientific and education issues.

A pioneer in the field of reproductive medicine, Dr. Winston was part of the team that created the first human "test tube baby" in 1978. In addition to other medical landmarks, Dr. Winston developed new techniques of reproductive surgery, conducted the first successful experimental tubal and ovarian transplant, and performed the first human tubal transplant.

thanks Astrid

I knew he was right but it sounds scary doesn't it to those of us newly pregnant or ttc.

I really like him as a presenter. I think he has done some other docos and may be one on making babies, or at least he appeared in someone elses. It is amazing to see him with babies, he seems to have a real love for them.

Trish, I hadnt thought of chemical pregnancies, so that makes much more sense now! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast