Thread: hungry all the time

~Jane~ Guest

Default hungry all the time

This is seriously driving me to distraction, I am always hungry.

I generally snack on fruit and yoghurt and the odd dry biscuit but at the moment I am like a bottomless pit and am constantly hungry or eating and when it hits my choices are less than healthy. Then I am bloated all the time and feel terrible, it's like I am craving something really nutritious and satisfying but have no idea what it is.

anyone have any great snack ideas to take to work? especially to keep on hand when the munchies take over?

Thanks

Smile

Hi Jane

I was hungry all the time in my first trimester to the point where I would eat and then it would feel like I hadn't eaten a thing all day. The thing that was worse than being hungry was never feeling full! At around 12-13 weeks the extreme hunger started wearing off and now I can eat and then feel full!

In terms of some healthy snacks for work maybe try some dried apricots....

Flapjack worked wonders for me in the early days. You can add fruit to flapjack too. (I did get a few "you're going to eat all of that?" comments too, but I was hungry!)

Last night I ended up eating a whole tube of salt and vinegar pringles and drinking a litre of apple juice as a "snack" before DH came home. But I figure I don't eat loads and loads, so I'm allowed the occasional pig-out!

Start your day with a big brekky if you can.. I usually have lots of Hibran (like weetbix with bran in them) with yohgurt and a banana around 6.30am, then by 10am I have vitawheats with vegimite and maybe a cup of soup as well then a roll or something half healthy for lunch then i dont usually at til dinner time. Sometimes I might have a achunk of cheese and a glass of milk when I get home too ha ha.. this is going to be a big bubba!

~Jane~ Guest

so glad to hear it isn't just me who is always hungry....think upping the size of breakfast and something more hi fibre sounds like a plan

Ryn - is flapjack like a pancake? I LOVE pancakes

Flapjack is a sort of oaty snack. You need butter melted in a pan, add in the oats (and nuts, dried fruit, orange/lemon peel... whatever you want) and let it set in a square roasting dish, then chop it into squares and eat. You can also put chocolate on the top if you like.

Pancake is sounding tempting now... why are there no creperies near me?

Also, try to eat low GI if you can - it helps keep you full for longer and really helps stave off the m/s

Jane - I was the same. Feeling sick and couldn't eat the food I normally liked. Almonds helped a bit. I ate a lot of bacon and egg sandwiches but I'm sure that isn't the kind of dietary tip you were seeking. I think making your breakfast larger will help (if you can stomach it). Rolled oats are good. Try it with blueberries and banana. Mmmmm.

Edited to add: OMG you are so close to having your big 12 week scan! I can't wait!

~Jane~ Guest

Thanks everyone,

I bumped up breakfast to cereal and some multigrain toast and vegemite and felt so much better today, I actually think I just wasn't eating enough for breakfast. It was good, after the bigger breakfast I did far less snacking on junk or anything much for that matter, just some fruit and yoghurt. I had much better energy levels too thanks goodness.

That's good Jane, I was the same in the first tri too (hence my username!!!) I found dairy snacks filled me up for longer - I think it's that low GI thing.

Hiya Girls - ive been drinking about 3 litres of water a day in the last week- which keeps me feeling full. So if your feeling hungry - it might be a sign that your body needs water (I read that somewhere?)