Thread: I'm 6 weeks pregnant and off to Japan (on a pre-organised holiday) - ADVICE?

Default I'm 6 weeks pregnant and off to Japan (on a pre-organised holiday) - ADVICE?

Wow, what a whirlwind! After nearly 2 years of TTC and 2 m/c last year, my husband (who is a VERY keen traveller) convinced me to go to Japan for 2 weeks. I was concerned at the time of organising it about what I would do if I fell pregnant, but he assured me that there are pregnant women in Japan too and that it might help me take my mind off TTC again (which I have been very anxious about).

So we booked and paid for everything and we're leaving on Saturday AND NOW I'M PREGNANT!

Anyway, I'm cautiously happy but freaking out a bit too. I had a scan yesterday and my OB said everything was looking great this time and to go and have a good time and just don't go in the hot baths or drink unpastuerised milk. He also advised me to wear compression stockings on the flight (about 8 hrs).

Any other advise / suggestions you can offer me?

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope you have a safe and happy trip

I would avoid (fish) sushi or sashimi (if you are into it that is) if I was you. There are loads of yummy Japanese dishes that you can have instead!

Having said that the hygeine standards in most sushi places in Japan exceeds ours here!

Be mindful of things like iced coffees and the like as the Japanese often put heavy cream in them instead of milk (and I don't know whether they pasturise!).

Many of their softdrinks are "energy drinks" with guarana and caffeine and the like (somewhat different to our version of sprts drinks) - so you may wish to stick to the more common drink varieties!

Japan is awesome though and you will have an amazing time!

.My advice is watch watch you eat and drink and have a good time.

Hi,

We were planning to go to Japan this month but I changed my mind..... I'm a bit of a worry wart though.

My concerns were: 1) food - when pg as you know all meat/fish needs to be well done and I was worried about being able to find stuff that I felt was ok to eat 2) hospitals - I'd heard a number of reports that English is not commonly spoken in Japan and I was worried if something did happen that there would be a serious language barrier if I had to go to hospital (I did Japanese at school until year 10 but can't remember much at all)

Having said all that I'm sure you'll be totally fine and if medical attention was needed you'd find an English speaker and there'll be PLENTY for you to eat over there.

I hope you have a great holiday.

Hi there,

I have been to Japan when we were TTC but just wanted to tell you theres lots of things you will be able to eat so dont worry.

Im not sure where you are staying? but if you are visiting Tokyo, there are heaps of places to eat. They have bread shops, bit like french ones but with Japanese type fillings, usually they have the english written below the JApanese writing , we just went for the plain type ones. Also they have Starbucks everywhere and other places where you can get sandwiches or toasted sandwiches, especially if staying at hotel, our hotel made the best toasted sandwiches. Also there are good department stores that have a fresh food section like DJ's where you can buy all sorts of fruit (their strawberries are so delicious totally recommend) and also they sell sushi which is a no no but maybe for your hubby, and all sort of little other departments like the DJ's hot food sections that sell fresh bread etc. If going to restaurant most restaurants will have someone speaking english so will understand pregnant/well done foods. They also have like italian type restaurants and some steak type restaurants too.

Whereabouts are you visiting? we went to Tokyo and Kobe/Osaka and caught the Fast train from Osaka to Tokyo it was fab.

ETA - I wore the compression stockings, bought them at the chemist, totally recommend them.

How exciting for you! I was in Japan in 2004, I had just found out I was pregnant in Rome the week before so I was about 4 or 5 weeks by the time I got to Japan.

I didnt have a problem with food at all, including sushi as it was incredibly fresh. We had Japanese friends there though & they were the ones who made the sushi so I know it was fresh & safe. They all told me to eat it as it was "healthy for pregnant woman". If you think about it, Japanese woman eat sushi etc throughout their pregnancies & they have healthy babies.

I found it very hot (we were there in August) so I always had a bottle of water with me.

As for the English barrier, most of the Japanese can speak broken english & will go out of their way to help you. I'm sure you wont come into any health problems but if by the off chance you do I'm sure you'll be fine. Try not to stress & enjoy your holiday

On the flight I did small walks now & then but didnt have any probs.

I hope you have a great holiday, I'm sure you'll love it over there.

Hey Japan is awesome. I lived there for 2 years and I have some experience.

If you are prone to thrush, take some canesten with you because getting treatment for thrush in Japan is not fun. Believe me, you don't want to go to a gyno in Japan (unless you want a doctor plus 5 nurses probing your privates).

Don't eat the convenience store (konbi-ni) food. It's fresh enough, but pretty gross.

It's freezing cold in Japan right now and snowing a lot. Rug up!

Even though it's fresh don't eat sushi or sashimi while pregnant. There are a million and 1 other meals to delight in so don't worry about it.

Do not, under any circumstance, eat fugu!

Quote Originally Posted by kuraiza View Post
    Even though it's fresh don't eat sushi or sashimi while pregnant.
    Hi, just wondering why?

Raw fish can carry bacteria. E-coli, bacillus cereus, staphylococcus and listeria monocytogenes can all be found in sushi. It's just one of those risks in pregnancy that you don't want to take, like eating soft cheese. You might not get sick, but you could.

Ok, thanks I knew those risks but thought fresh was ok. Thanks for that.