Thread: Insomnia???

Joy3 Guest

Default Insomnia???

Hi- I'm five weeks today- and just wondering if anyone else is suffering from insomnia??
    In all the pregnancy books it says how tired you are meant to be feeling in the first trimester- and I am, but I go to bed of a night and find myself unable to sleep. I think it might be a mixture of excitement/nerves?? Any advice to help me sleep- its driving me crazy!!!

Red face

Hi Joy!

Yes you do get this a lot. It can calm down and start up again towards the end. "They" say it's to get you ready for when the baby is born.

I think in the early stages it's probably a mixture of the hormones, changes to your body and nerves.

I was getting it a lot, waking in the middle of the night to pee, or just waking and then laying there! But that's subsided a bit until this morning.

The other thing you may notice is your dreams!! They are full-on, and therefore wake you up!!!

I just read a book before bed and try and go to bed early. Then when I wake at night, I lay down the other end of the bed (YES, I am weird), and I make sure that I relax my tongue and jar. This works for me. It's weird, but it works.:eek:

Plus, worse case, I go to the lounge and read my book until my eyes are about to fall out and then quickly drag myself back to bed.

This is nothing. Once you have the baby, it's a lot worse, so get used to it my dear and get as much rest as you can on the weekends and when you're not working. When the baby is here, you wake at any little sound, and when the baby wakes for feeds in the middle of the night, you can get them back off to sleep, and then you lay there thinking, thinking, thinking!!!!

I know this isn't the best advise, but hey, I'm trying to prepare you for what's to come.

Try the book and try relaxation techniques etc and see how that goes.

OOOOOOOOOO Emma - good luck with the birth of Gabby.

Hope all goes well!

Let us know how you OK.

Take care.

JadeTara Guest

Me too, insomnia is so annoying. I find that I wake up and cant get back to sleep for hours and then my arms get really restless. The only thing that helps me is as soon as I wake up I get up and go to the toilet then have a drink and go straight back to bed. It usually works and the restlessness goes away.
    Good luck x x x

I get it too. I can be soooo tired, but just can't get to sleep so usually watch telly with the timer on and fall asleep...lol.

christie_greig Guest

I am the total opposite. Im sleeping too much lol. Im almost 9wks along with my 2nd bub. My 1st was a great baby so i wont scare u with the 'u'll be up all nite' stuff, coz i wasnt (mite be this time tho who knows). I think it has alot to do with how calm the parent is around the child tho, if a parent is anxious/nervous etc then the bub is gonna act up a bit. Im not a dr but thats my view on it.

All i can suggest is to maybe try showering or bathing before bed, that always relaxes me and i drift off as soon as my head hits the pillow.

My problem at the moment is i sleep for a good 14hrs of a nite meaning i sleep til almost midday and i cant get to sleep at nite. Im trying to break the habit but as u can see im still up and its almost 10pm. No idea how im gonna sleep and be up by 6am to get my daughter ready for kindy and me ready for a day at work

I suffered from insomnia for about 3 weeks and still have the occassional night of it. Drives you crazy because you are so tired but you just can't sleep. I found that i could always fall asleep on the couch or with my head on DH lap so when I had insomnia I went to one of these places and slept soundly.

Good luck.

P.S. Emma I can't believe you're 40 weeks. Good luck with the birth of Gaby when she decides to make her entrance.

i too suffered from insomnia - i found having a cup of chamomile tea or warm milk before bed helped but then again that also made me have to get up to the go to the loo!!