Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listeria

Default Listeria

Well I just had devon for lunch without thinking and the other day I had a soft serve ice cream, thinking it'd be alright now. But i feel really guilty about it now. Do you think it'd be alright seeing as i'm now overdue etc? Or is it still not a good idea?

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Tegan,
    I wouldn't stress about it too much. I think they tell you to avoid those foods as a precautionary measure if anything.
    I was talking to a friend of mine who had her second baby about a year ago and she said she completely ignored all the warnings and ate whatever she liked. Soft serve icecream, salami, salads from the deli etc. She had no troubles. Now, she was probably lucky but it just goes to show that we don't have to be too padantic. Every now and then I will have a slice of meat or something on the "banned" list and all ok so far. I wouldn't concern yourself about it

Hi Tegan,
    I agree with Deb, try not to stress too much.
    I also ate things on the banned list when pg, and was completely fine!! I had soft serve thickshake once, and even chicken sandwiches from a takeout store... 8-[ 8-[
    (Though I am NOT recommending anyone to go out and eat that stuff!)

8-[
    i too eat stuff on the banned list, and did with joshua, im always eating mayonaise,sometimes home made chocolate mousse, deli ham (the mousse and ham were whilst pregnant with josh and he turned out fine).. i think it is all a precautionary thing and as your overdue i wouldnt worry as its mainly the development side of things they worry about i think, which your bubs has done and dusted

i too dont recomend that its ok to eat it, i just do coz i like the stuff and i think everyone every now and again eats things on the naughty list..

btw are we allowed to eat prawns? its kinda a tradition we get prawns for xmas lunch, but i heard not to, then someone said ok as long as hot.. anyone know?

take care
    Lesley

*Megan* Guest

Hi Lesley

I don't actually know about prawns, but I have been eating them too so I hope that they are OK! Having to give up smoked salmon was hard enough without giving up prawns too!

I will wait with you for an answer to this......

Megan

Hot prawns are fine.........deepfired is best as the high temps kill all bacteria, so if they are barbied, make sure they are really hot. Green prawns that are cooked from raw to hot are the best option, rather than "warming through" already cooked prawns, IYKWIM?

i thought cold prawns were ok too, just not raw seafood like oysters and sushi etc.

*Megan* Guest

I hope that you are right Min! Love cold prawns.......
    [-o<

Megan

I love cold prawns i hope they are okay to eat. I was going to get some for Christmas day.

Sorry ladies, didn't mean to freak you out!!

Cold prawns are also fine, as long as they are cooked and chilled properly. The ones you get from the supermarket would be fine as long as they are not hanging about for too long in warm temps!

The problem with any food posioning/bacteria is when the bacteria has the opportunity to multiply....ie if prawns are left out in a salad say, & then it gets a bit warm, the prawns are exposed to cross contamination (from people and/or other foods) and then the bacteria has the ideal environment to grow (ie warm and moist).

So clean cooked chilled prawns are fine......just don't let them hang around too long!

Guys, I did 4 long and boring years at uni doing all this, so any questions re food/listeria/nutrition, just let me know and I will do my best.

Just a point on Listeria.......the reason that these days all Dr's etc encourage us to be strict and vigilant about what we as pregnant women eat is because the Listeria bacteria doesn't always affect us (the mothers) .....it has the potential to only attack the unborn child. That is why you need to be so cautious, because you might not feel sick, but it could aftect the unborn bubs. It also can take a long time for Listeria to incubate, so you might not feel ill until up to a few weeks after you have eaten an offending food.

I might maybe do a post on the basics of Listeria and put it as a sticky?

Take care all..........

*Megan* Guest

Thanks for the detailed post Lucy - phew - can relax about the whole prawn thing now!

Another question though - and I have heard mixed reports on this which is why I am asking again, is fetta OK?

Thanks again

Megan

WOOOHOOO!!!
    lucy youve made my day
    prawns for xmas lunch it is then yay!!!

megan, i know what u mean about giving up smoked salmon!!!!.. oh how hard!! i love that stuff, and it makes it worse when anthony eats it in front of me

i think thats a good idea lucy, to do a post on listeria and put it as a sticky, if you havent already

take care
    Lesley

What I have done ladies, is take some really good info of Kelly's, and posted at the top of this forum as an announcement so it will stay at the top.

Fetta..........Fetta is a soft cheese, so I hate to tell you this, but you should avoid it........sorry, but I wouldn't be taking the risk.

Good to know about the prawns Lucy. Thanks

i am so hungry for prawns now with yummy home made seafood sauce, come on christmas, hurry up and get here. forget the presents, i just want the prawns!!!

I made a chicken salad last night for dinner which has been refrigerated since then, and I wanted to have the rest for lunch today, is this ok?

oh thats a hard one, but I don't think so. It depends on how strict you are. There is the list at the top that might help, but I was always told not to have meats that have been cooked & then cold. Anyone else?

Yeah I think you need to have the chicken reheated before you are supposed to eat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast