Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listeria & Pregnancy: Foods to Avoid Listeriosis

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Listeria & Pregnancy: Foods to Avoid Listeriosis

Hey guys,

You can now find the Listeria article on the main site HERE!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

What are the thoughts on fetta?

Anbd the new fetta spread?

Cheers

colleeg Guest

What about processed cheese like le-snacks and cheese sticks on the supermarket shelf?

:-k Colleeg

Default Re: Listeria & Pregnancy: Foods to Avoid Listeriosis

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly
    Please note that it is perfectly fine to eat the following foods:

*All freshly cooked foods
    *Hard cheeses, cheese spreads, processed cheese
    *Milk - freshly pasteurised and UHT (longlife)
    *Yoghurt
    *Canned and pickled food

...*Soft cheeses (eg. brie, camembert, ricotta - all safe if cooked and served hot)
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

colleeg Guest

Ellen
    me too, i thought becuase they were processed that its 'no' food, well they woudl have been a brilliant snack early on in pregancy! looks like they are fist in my shopping trolly!

colleeg Guest

I had my anitnatal check up yesterday and asked her about that, basically cheese spreads and le snacks, also cheese sticks are fine- if they were going to go off then they would go mouldy, they have been treated so no bacteria will attack them (whilst on shelf- for their life duration)

so all this time i didnt know! well i just though it wasnt allowed!

well yummy eating then!

Even though the lovely Kelly has posted it all into this thread for your benefit, we do now have it located on the new BellyBelly site as well and can be found by clicking Listeria and Pregnancy

Love

A really quick question and I just wanted some reassurance, but pepperoni on pizza is ok isn't it because it's been cooked?

Thanks Ellen. Yeah I thought it would be ok. As it was I picked off the pepperoni anyway but just in case IYKWIM!

i_will_be_a_mum Guest

Default new Gal here

Hi Everyone

Just joined this wonderful informative website after being pointed to it from a thread I had searched on yahoo. Anyway, after TTC for 6 months my hubby Michael and I may be sucessful. Its great what 10 days of R&R at the right time can do!

Anyway, enough of the formalities .. I have my basic list of what I should and should not eat, but me being me I would like one that is alot more comprehensive that also includes (teas/drinks, deserts and other things like massage oils, soaps etc). Does anyone know of such a list ?
    I am happy to start one but will need info to add into it.

Ohh, and as an after thought (you will get use to this, I ramble sometimes). I have a white herbal tea (like a green tea, but is white/jasmin). Is this a no no ??? I love my pot of tea I can just sip and reheat all day, but DH (who is not always darling) seems to think its on the bad list. Please let me know your thoughts

Hope to hear from you soon..
    Janet

Hi,
    I had food poisioning twice in my first pregnancy and both times i thought i was going into premature labour. Since having my child and going through labour, i can honestly, honestly say food poisoning was worst than labour. Ive had it before when not pregnant, and was not this bad. Funny thing is DH went to Maccas and got me a strawberry sundae one night. 3 hours later i was on the toilet floor literally.
    My second bout was a salad sandwich from a takeaway joint.

My only advice is i be extremely careful (more than usual) with what goes in your gob - i think we're more suspectible to food poisioning when we're preggers - are defensives are a bit down busy looking after the bubs inside........

Custardtart Guest

Janet, I can't see anything wrong with the sort of tea you described, Stay away from mint teas and raspberry leaf teas, as they can bring on contractions, but most of the others are fine. I did find as my pregnancy progressed that my caffeine tolerance dropped rapidly, if I drink coffee my heart starts racing but I can still have a cup of tea every now and again.
    Pay attention to how you feel for 30 minutes after drinking the tea and you should be able to figure out if you are having a negative reaction to it! Hubby is probably being overprotective.

Kerrie

Raspberry Leaf Tea should only be avoided if you have a history of miscarriage, pre-term labour etc. It's a uterine tonic, which is very good for you in pregnancy, but of course, see a naturopath first to eliminate any possible health conflicts. It's even useful for morning sickness but there is so much conflicting advice over it's use in the first trimester. I had it with Marisa though. In the tea form and especially from the supermarket, they aren't that strong of a dose anyway.
    Kelly xx

My natropath gave me a concoction from 5 weeks that included raspberry leaf. I was wary, but she did say it was safe. However the tea in the shops is only recommended 2nd or 3rd trimester.
    There's a good tea I have called Rooibos and it's a red tea. The women in Sth africa drink it whilst pregnant as it has no caffeine and has alot of health benefits. Very much tastes like black tea. I have it just weak. You can add sugar and milk.
    As for the pizza thing, I only go vegetrarian. I am not 100% sure the cooked packaged meats are ok, I would avoid them. Also there are some pregnancy books out there by natropaths that say all the herbs etc you must avoid and what you can have. xo

Thanks brook. I had forgotten which food to avoid until now! lol

Custardtart Guest

Tulip, I don't see a problem with drinking a small amount of caffeine while you are pregnant - your body will tell you quickly enough if it doesn't agree with you! One of the main concerns is that caffeine interferes with iron absorbtion, so don't drink too much, but a cup here or there won't damage the baby.
    I found that with all my pregnancies I had to cut out caffeine, I felt sick in the stomach if I had coffee and could only handle small amounts of tea. My tolerance levels changed throughout the pregnancy.

Kerrie

To be quite honest i had caffine throughout my entire pregnancy with DD and she turned out fine....

I'd say yeah go for it. Have it occassionally just not like 5 times a day lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast