Thread: Listeriosis- anyone had problems?

Default Listeriosis- anyone had problems?

Hi there, I hope I'm not going to scare myself by asking others' opinions, but was curious about the effects of listeriosis. Reason being, I'm in my 10th week and while being careful about what foods to avoid, I've made some slip ups. Eg: eating ham in toasted sandwiches- a few times a week, had a few soft-serve ice-creams in the past month. Only when I read my information again, I realised 'oops!' that I'd been eating these things- not everyday, but it makes me wonder.

I'm seeing my obstetrician on Thursday and will ask him anyway, but I'm hoping it won't radically affect bub. I did my maternal serum blood test on Friday and at 12 weeks will have my 1st ultrasound. So I'm keeping fingers & toes crossed that all is OK.
    My hubby & I have healthy family histories and I realise that over the years women have probably eaten things they ought not to, yet all is OK. Am I over-reacting to this?

Thanks all.

Lou, listeriosis, although serious is very very rare. The leaflet is very daunting I know ... probably because the health authorities want people to be very aware of the issue and are just covering all bases. You are right that many people ate a lot of those things on the list in the past and didn't have problems. The list is really only there to make people aware of the types of foods listeria prefers ... not saying that those foods definitely contain listeria. Try not to worry about it too much (although it is easy for me to say, I know).

Thanks for the reply Melbo, I'll just see how we go then. So many things to think about, but (listeriosis aside) all I can do is wait for the ultrasnd & test results, & go from there, hoping for the best (as we all do!)

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The ham was probably ok anyway as the sandwhich was toasted and the ham heated therefore probably destroying any bacteria in it. Lots of girls here have eaten ham throughout their pregnancies and been totally fine. Most things in moderation you will find will be ok so try not to worry about it too much.

Yep and I ate heaps of soft serve icecreams in the form of Sundae's and thickshakes from McDonalds before noticing that they are actually soft serve icecream and I'm not allowed to have it

Most pg women will have made mistakes I think, and if you havent been ill I wouldnt worry.

I'm a badass and I still have McD's soft serve. I figure it must turnover pretty quickly, so there isn't that much chance of it going blurgh in the freezer.
    I wont eat from a soft serve van though - no way known!
    Ham is fine cooked - so as long as your sandwiches are nice and hot the listeria should be killed.
    Just be careful - it only takes one dodgy bit of food to make it all happen, so while its easy to say your chance is low, its still best not to take too many risks.
    I actually had an raw oyster last week..... But I know it was freshly shucked that morning, so I wasn't tooooo stressed about it.

mummymeegs Guest

The funny things is... I have spent a few nights in hospital in the past month or so and what is always on the menu?? Ham, chicken or some other processed meat in sandwiches!!

Soo true! For out pre-natal class they served cold processed meat sandwiches! Pg #1 I was.... 'anal', this time round I have eaten ham twice and had a chocky sundae from McDonalds. Naughty... but nice! I am still trying to be good...

octavian Guest

Lou, my understanding also is that it is VERY uncommon - I read a British preg book that suggested something like 25 cases all up reported in about 5 years, only a handful of those reported in pregnancy and of those only 2 that were related to miscarriage - that's in a population of 50 million.. relax! (easier said than done, cos I still keep turning my nose up at some things, even though I know damn well it's safe! LOL!)

I would just watch out for stuff like the salads in the deli which sit around all day. I had some a few weeks ago and got really sick (didn't know I was p/g at the time) I think about if I'd been a bit further along though and who knows???

Not trying to scare anyone but just my experience.....It might not have even been list. but just some form of food poisoning but you just don't want to risk it I reckon.