Thread: lop-sided uterus

Default lop-sided uterus

Hi everyone,
    I'm 11 weeks into this pregnancy and happy to say that I feel great and everything is going really well.

I've noticed in the last week that when I have an empty bladder and lie down or sit in a very relaxed way, I can poke my fingers around at my bikini line and feel a definate increase in the firmness of my uterus! It's very exciting, I first noticed this about 10 days ago and it's now a fair bit bigger than then!! -something's deffinately cooking in there!!

The only part I find odd about this is that I can feel that my uterus is most deffinately well over to the left of centre. If I insert a finger (as in checking cervix) I can also notice that my cervix is not at the top of the vagina, but off to the left too. -I've known that it's that way for a long time though, so that's not news to me.

My paternal grandmother told me once a long time ago that she had problems giving birth to her 2 kids because she had a lop-sided uterus and I wonder if a thing like this can be inherited from your fathers side????

Does anyone else know about this? I mentioned it to my gynie once during an exam years ago and she acknowledged my observation (about the cervix) but didn't offer any clarification or further explination.

Is this a common condition? Does it lead to delivery problems?

Thanks in advance.....

clare076 Guest

I have a lop sided uterus also, funnily enough it is also off to the left. I had absolutely no problems giving birth to my DD. I remained active throughout labour, had no pain killers (stupid girl) and had no interventions.

I dont know if it was related but I found it easier to push laying on my left side, however I do favour this side when I sleep, so maybe it is just a coincidence.

Also I have noticed that if I try to lay on my right side I get terrible pains in my tummy, heaps of pressure, like my uterus is pulling. I dont get it if I lay on my left side.
    Last edited by clare076; October 4th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks Clare,

I hope to do as much of the birthing myself as possible. ounds like your situation was OK and I hope mine is too!

I have an inverted uterus (pointing towards my back, not my front) and I'm told this makes no difference (tell that to my sciatic nerve!). Liebs was very much left-sided for the first about 18w, now I'm more towards the middle, but still left on occasion. Come on darling, Mummy wants a left-hander!