Thread: Low heartrate

Default Low heartrate

I had a scan last week at 6wks 2days heartrate was 115bpm.

I was told by my Dr today that it was very low and things can still go wrong.
    Has anyone else had a low heartrate and things work out okay in the end.

I have a repeat scan next week to see how things are going.

Sal Guest

Michelle, one of the ladies in the January (2006) pg buddies thread had a low heartrate on the first scan. She ended up having a baby that was just fine. Couldn't your dates be a little out? If you are a couple of days behind what you think, then the heartrate might be slow just as the bub 'gets warmed up'. The heartrate starts a bit slow, then speeds up during pg only to slow again at the end.

I hope all is just fine with your little'un

Sal they did change my dates back i was meant to have been 6wks 6days and they said i was only 6wks 2days at the scan.

Some doctors need to go back to medical school!!

That heart rate is absolutely perfect for the stage you are at. The heart rate starts off slow (less than 100bpm) when it starts beating near the end of week 5. By the sixth week it should be over 100bpm. It will continue to rise over the next 3-4 weeks, peaking between 150-180bpm. It will then probably slow down a bit.

This baby had a heart rate of 114bpm at my first scan which was at 6w2d. At my next scan at 10 weeks it was 183bpm.

Fetal heart rate tends to vary with gestational age in the very early parts of pregnancy. Normal heart rate at 6 weeks is around 90-110 beats per minute (bpm) and at 9 weeks is 140-170 bpm. At 5-8 weeks a bradycardia (less than 90 bpm) is associated with a high risk of miscarriage.
    Basically in the sixth week you want to see a heart rate above 100bpm. Your fine, he should never have frightened you like that. If you were a few weeks further along, yes that hr would be considered low. But not at 6 weeks.
    Last edited by Astrolady; June 13th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Flea thank you for the link and all the information I'm going to have a good read of it again later.

babyluv Guest

hi Michelle,
    I had a scan at 6 weeks 4 days and my bubs heart rate was 110 but I got told that was ok for the moment I am now 12 weeks 3 days and everything seems to be coasting along just fine.
    Hope that helps
    Amy

Michelle, I just wanted to add that when I had a scan at 6 weeks with Joshua, his heartrate was 105 bpm. My doctor was ok with that and it was never suggested that it was low. By 9 weeks it was up to 179 bpm. Obviously he was fine and I hope all is fine with your little one as well.

I hope this all eases your mind Michelle! I think you're Dr is incredibly inconsiderate to make such comments!!!

Bring on the positive thoughts - like I said in your journal this one is going to stick - I just know it!

Thanks everyone for your replies it had helped ease my mind a little. I don't think my Dr really knew what she was talking about as she did have to talk to a OB at the hospital about that and my blocked tube.

The heart rate should be somewhere between 110 and 160. However it is norman for the rate to be outside this range for a short time. Your babys heart rate is fine Michelle, try not to worry hun.

oops that should read normal not norman lol

Thanks Alan