Thread: Maternity Clothes

Default Maternity Clothes

Last baby I fell pregnant in Feb and had him in October so got away with winter maternity clothes because winter dragged on and didn't really get that much heat until November - the few warm days in Sept and Oct were still cooler enough for jeans.

This time I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant now and the baby will be due in June so am going to go right through the peak of summer and it will be quite cold by the end.

The short question is when did people start needing maternity clothes??? Trying to work out how much I'm going to need in the way of summer maternity clothes.

kerry Guest

Baby #1 here and I have been needing maternity clothes since about 12 weeks. I still fit into some of my normal clothes but there are some major comfort issues and top distortion due to big bbs..

I was not fitting into them untill around the 20 week mark I think, I can still fit into my normal trckies now still though, this is my #1

Number #1 for me and I was starting to wear belly belts by 12 weeks and maternity clothes (pants and tops etc) by 16 weeks.

I agree, it can be hard to know what to get. This seems to be so different for everyone. Mine is due in April so hopefully, the wardrobe I've got now will span that season adequately.

I basically spent money on things for work, figuring that with home and casual, I could make do a bit. I've bought two pairs of mat pants, four mat tops and a couple of things I can wear later that will be suitable now too.

Like Nadine, I have been wearing the Belly Belt with jeans and things since 12 weeks. My work clothes stopped fitting me long ago (too fitted)and I've been in the mat pants since week 10. This is my first pg so had nothing to compare it with.

i think i was wearing them from about 15 weeks

I used a belly-belt from 10 weeks, then full-on mat clothes from about 13.

Tip - heaps of great cheap and new mat stuff available on ebay... I bought lots of work clothes there to save money. \/

I was PG around the same time as you and I bought 1 pair of maternity jeans when I was 16 weeks and 4 maternity t-shirts but that is all. I also had a belly belt & didn't wear it until 25 weeks. So I guess it all depends on when you "pop" and comfort. We didn't have much $$ so I went op shopping & bought a few pants which were too big & singlets and that lasted me. I was so warm that until I gave birth in June I didn't get cold.

This is #1 too. I'll be going shopping this weekend as I can't fit into my straight skirts anymore without wearing them up under my armpits to do them up! LOL. Tops are still ok, and my jeans are still ok... prolly coz they're lower cut.

I've only JUST popped, but I don't think I'll be wearing maternity tops or anything for a little while yet.

And I MUST get a couple of bras. I've been squeezing into my normal ones for a little too long now. hehe. It's a bit exciting... I've never outgrown a bra before!! LOL. (DH loves it too. he said if he'd known they would grow like this, he'd have given me my baby sooner!! LOL)

Hi Jaspen,

I had my DD in Sep 03 - so like you had winter mat clothes. This pregnancy i'll be biggest in summer. I started to find my jeans wouldnt do up around the 18 wk mark. Im a SAHM so dont need any work clothes, and have found stretch singlet and baby doll tops have been my savour. They're cheap and the colours out this season are fantastic. Ive just been buying size 12-14 (normally an 8).

thanks for all those tips ladies - think I'll be going the ebay option too especially being SAHM so don't need particular work clothes. I"ll hold off buying for a while though. Although will probalby go straight to maternity when I pop out of existing so I at least get some wear out of them through summer. My old winter gear should get through if I get too cold before this ones due. The latest fashion baby doll/ high waisted tops could prove handy though.

Thanks again

Bought my first maternity clothes today! The much needed skirt, and I got a top as well. It was a bit scarey trying it all on, coz I could see the potential for a big belly under that top! LOL. But it's a gorgeous little top, and it was lots of fun

Good luck with all the shopping girls!