Thread: Metamucil Capsules - Safe?

Default Metamucil Capsules - Safe?

Hi All,

I'm wanting to take some metamucil capsules - are they safe to take when pregnant?

110% safe ... Almost 24w now and I've been on them since day one ... my OB said any "bulking" type medication for constipation is fine, and it won't affect any pregnancy vitamins you're taking either ...

Congratulations on the pregnancy ... if not the constipation ...

Just make sure that you also take plenty of fluids when taking them

Thanks guys, its only early days for me and I think I'm going to struggle otherwise!!

I took them for a while but got really annoyed at taking a million of the things a day so started eating some heavy duty muesli instead!

This has contradicted every other bit of information that I have ever got (including from hospital etc), but I was recently told by my local chemist that Metamucil powder is not OK during pregnancy because it contains aspartame (sp?). I doubt that the capsules would contain artificial sweeteners though - there's no point in sweetening them!

Has anybody else heard this? I don't use artificial sweeteners, so probably wouldn't really pay attention, but I've never heard that they are not OK to use during pregnancy...

I used the capsules towards the end of my first pregnancy.

Suse - I've avoided artificial sweeteners during pregnancy. I read it can interfere with the baby's temperature or something like that. The sugar free metamucil does have aspartame and that's the worst of the artificial sweeteners, but like you said, the capsules don't have that in them.

I actually avoid artificial sweeteners anyway, and won't let DH have them either hehe. They're bad for you in general.. let alone when preggers

Cool - thanks for the info Liz (oh, and Tanyah - sorry for hijacking your thread).