Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Sickness

pandora315 Guest

Default Morning Sickness

I've decided to open a subject completly dedicated to the relief and complaint of morning sickness. I've tried everything- small meals, ginger products, B6, peppermint, sea bands, and maxilon but nothing helps and its leaving me unable to function. I'm sure others are having the same problem and we all need to complain about it-but whats more maybe we can share some tips and try to figure out a cure together.

On a side note I read something interesting last night. I've been doing a little reading on parasitology and last night came upon a section discussing the likness of a fetus to a parasite- I know that doesn't sound nice and we all love our babies to be, but it was saying that the fetus actually produces chemicals to ward off immune system attack from the mother similar to how a parasite would and of course as we know it (he/she) feeds soley off us. But the interesting part was that they'd figured out that given free reign a fetus would grow at an exceptional rate draining the mothers body and even leaving her unable to reproduce subsequent children. As a result the mothers body has its own means of slowing the growth down- but where do you think this superman (or woman) growth urge cmes from? It comes from the fathers DNA! So when you're sick you can rightly say that its your partners fault

:-k hmmm... I didn't know about that men's DNA thing....

I had an awful time of ms and funny enough everytime I had a ginger product I vomitted LMAO... so the only thing that helped me was poweraide, yep that sickly sweet drink I would drink around 200mls in the morning & all was good to go... I don't know why because I would even try the biscuits in bed before you get up routine etc and nothing helped I would just end up vomiting those up but for some reason power aide was fantastic...

my main prob now is once late afternoon hits I am so nauseous all I want to do is go to bed. I just want to sleep it away IYKWIM.

Mine seems to be triggered by smells. Ciggie smoke on my husband has me gagging. He has had to sleep in the spare room for weeks now because I cant stand it. next time he complains i can now throw at him the mans dna thing LOL.

I crave food that makes me sick which is also a problem. I find if I eat lightly I am not quite as bad as if I give into my cravings.

So many times this has reduced me to tears. I want to enjoy my pregnancy not be miserable like this. Will it ever go away?

I tried Morning Sickness Formula tablets by Blackmores and they did nothing. I tried ginger products and they make me gag. Sucking on a lemon wedge helps a little but i got immune to it. I love the smell of fresh oranges and walked around with the peel in my mouth for hours one night lol but it helped a little even though I looked like a major dorkarella.

lol at the dorkarella comment! I have heard many PG women crave manderins so you've got something going there kayla! yep the ms tablets didn't work for me either... and yep I felt awful and wondered where the joy in PG was for the first 18 weeks... trust me I got a bit of joy later lol... Hang in there girls!

Debbie Lee Guest

Mmmm mandarins!

Now, Pandora, I have not had morning sickness as bad as you or as bad as poor Colleen so I always feel bad when I complain. However, I am a natural-born whinger so it's gonna happen!

I have more good days than bad atm. It seems weekends are worse and I think it's because I have wound down or I know I don't have to work so I allow myself to be sick. I have had a few too many days off work for my liking (as I don't have much sick leave) BUT I try to look at it as a positive thing.

It is interesting what you say about the parasite thing. I did read somewhere or heard somewhere that the female body actually treats the pregnancy as a foriegn object that isn't meant to be there so it tries it's hardest to get rid of it. The little blighters have to be pretty strong to hang in there. Now I know that is a really simplified view of it (and, honestly, I am of the "nintendo" generation so my concentration span is about as long as my pinky finger so I probably missed the main point). However, what you said Pandora is very interesting. I will have to tell DH so that he knows exactly whose fault it is that I cannot cook his dinner nor can I function once I get home from work,

I did get to a point with my m/s that I was starting to feel really down on myself. I could really see how depression could set in. I couldn't do the housework they way I used to, I used to LOVE cooking for Neil and that stopped, I look terrible (and fat! urrgh), the house looks terrible and I just wasn't having any fun. It's no good watching everyone around you go out to parties etc. while all you want to do is sleeeeeep! That's why I think talking about m/s and sharing with people that understand (like the lovely ladies in this forum) is sooooo important!

pandora315 Guest

I think people who havn't been pregnant or who havn't had morning sickness just can't understand. DH ousin came over to use our kitchen to bake a project for a uni language course- some sort of fried pastry. She was very offended first by the fact that the smell of food frying sends me running to the toilet so I was unable to keep her comapny and second by my unwillingness to try what she made. Saying you feel sick day after day after day sounds like a cop-out. Its not of course and in your head you think all sorts of nasty thoughts about how well they'd cope being sick everyday- but really theres just no way of getting through to people.

Yesterday my mother in law was saying how the laundry was sitting in baskets not being hung out and how my dinner was a create-a meal stir fry from a bag- I was very good and said nothing- I waited until today on the phone with MY mother to complain about her

LOL Pandora, arent mothers great to complain to about MIL's!

i hope i dont get shocker morning sickness, but at only 4 weeks, i have had a real seedy feeling for the past two days, so i dont like my chances, i think i am gonna start early

lucky me!

Oh ladies, I have had a chuckle at these posts, remembering how utterly dreadful I felt in my first 16 weeks.........you poor things. And I know how frustrated I used to get at the fact that not many of the "remedies" actually worked. Plus I got miserable as I wasn't functioning as my "normal" self.

I PROMISE YOU IT IS ALL WORTH IT!

Here is what worked for me:

Mandarins
    Freezing cold fresh Orange Juice
    Freezing cold orange Fanta
    Freezing cold Iced Coffee
    Freezing cold Jalna fruit drinking yogurt (especially good if you can gag it down as it high in calcium and good bacterias like Acidofulus (sp?!))
    Plain salted potato chips (a little fun size bag)

Honest to God, this is all I ate for the first 16 weeks. I got a bit worried that my little baby would OD on oranges!

From week 16 my appetite came back with a vengence for all good foods including cravings for meat and eggs.

Stick with it girls, as I said, it is all worth it, I promise!

Debbie Lee Guest

I just need to have a sook and a big yell (block your ears everyone)

I AM FRICKEN SICK OF FEELING SICK!!!!!!!

*Debbie composes herself*

Ok.... sorry about that. Have been feeling nauseous all day (though haven't spewed....yet) and I am just having one of those days when I am getting sick of it. I have a pig-sty of a house and really want to get stuck into it but every time I start something, I have to stop to sit down and fight the waves! Urrgh! It took me 2 hours to do the dishes. Granted, just about every dish, cup, utensil etc. was dirty so there was a lot of them but geeeeeeeeeeez! :roll:

Ok.... that's my complain,

Debbie, you poor bugger, as I said I havent hit that stage yet, but have had a constant seedy feeling for the last 3 days.

I find that a glass of lemonade settles my stomach, as well as just munching on a dy cracker. sesmame wheets are great because they have a lot of flavour.

I AM TOOOOOOOO

The weather outside is so glorious but every time i stand up I feel giddy. I so want to enjoy the weather when it is like this ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

kayla, get a book and just get someone to wheel you outside and leave you there for a few hours, perfect!

Debbie Lee Guest

The weather here is glorious here too Kayla! I was hoping to take the dog for a walk (the poor thing is so lonely out in the back yard) but I don't think it is going to happen today!
    Maybe I will sit out on the decking and sip lemonade and eat a cracker like you have suggested Min? Sounds like a plan to me

sounds good debbie, i am sitting at work eating a mandarine, is so quiet here today, i am bored outta my brain

pandora315 Guest

How's everyone coping? I hope all is well and everyone is feeling better. :evil: Actually, I hope everyone is as miserable as me argh argh argh.....I'm just kidding! Its not that bad and I have hope- all my books say that after twelve weeks morning sickness may subside, even though it didn't last pregnancy I'm still hoping it may this one, so even though the past two days have been the worst yet I'm going to hold my breath and wait for the sun to come out tomorrow so to speak.

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww my fingers are crossed for you Pandora! I hope the magic 12 week mark is the one that sees the back end of the m/s for you.
    Unfortunately mine is still kicking on at 15 weeks and I can't see it going away any time soon.
    I have to admit, it is different though. Before, it used to be nausea all day and the occasional vomit perhaps every few days. I could generally get the nausea to go away with m/s formula, dry ginger ale or by eating something. I had one or two really bad days where I had to stay in bed all day but otherwise I just pushed on through.
    Now, it is more like proper morning sickness. I get up, try to shove as much liquid down as possible and throw it all up again in an hour or so. After that, I am generally fine. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 spews but for the rest of the day I am ok.
    Yesturday was a different story but I had really interrupted sleep all night so I think I just threw the m/s out of wack because I got it right before dinner! I think I let myself get too hungry for that.
    Anyway, I too am hoping that the further along I get, the more hope there is of it subsiding. Mine hasn't been half as bad as yours though so you really deserve a break!
    "M/S monster - leave Pandora alone!!!" (more teacher-voice! )

pandora315 Guest

Oh no! I'm so sorry, that must be awful! Nature throws us some pretty terrible curves sometimes- but maybe you're just hitting the peak of the worst of it and then it will subside? If not I know its hard to do but I guess you just keep soldiering on and eventually it has to go! Like i said about the birth of my first son it was an event that was so joyful its impossible to express- even to other first time mothers- because it also coincided with the ability to eat full meals and keep them down. Nothing ever tasted as good as those hospital mashed potatos, vege's, and turkey......

I cooked a roast last night and my special pumpkin casserole for DH last night. It was hard going- but after a few runs to the toilet I managed to get everything in the oven. I even got to eat some of the potatos and carrots. The downside was that I chopped garlic for the roast and the smell is on my hands- everytime my hands get close enough to my face to smell it my stomache turns.....I have cold at the moment so they've been close to my face alot today. If it wasn't so sad it'd be funny. At the moment I can laugh and joke about how I used to vomit every time I'd take a shower in my third trimester until I'd be laying in the bottom of the tub unable to get back out, or how everytime I'd vomit I'd wet myself- even in public. But I think another 3 months from now those things are going to be all to familiar, and not so funny anymore........

pandora, the smell of garlic makes me feel terrible! i have swithched from making home made garlic bread for our dinner to home made herb bread!

actually today is the first day in a couple of weeks i have felt ok, didnt feel nauseous at all this morning, is great, having a huge craving for a hot chocolate, may have to pop outta work to get one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast