Thread: My heartburn has returned.....

Exclamation My heartburn has returned.....

What do I do to relieve my heartburn?? I don't know what foods are setting it off? Or is it just part of my pregnancy hormones fluctuating etc?

I've been told about "Tums" but they say not to be used in the first Tri so i won't go near them.

I find if i drink some water that helps but not really...iykwim!! Just relieves it for a second or two.....

TIA

I have read in another thread that Fruit Tingles work really well and are yummy!!!

Yep fruit tingles work. Also drinking milk helps for me.

I feel for ya Renee, I'm a long time sufferer of heartburn. I've also heard fruit tingles work, but I've never tried them!

Try and avoid spicy food, food with a tomato base (ouch, my tummy hurts just thinking about tomatoes!), acidic fruit and Coke (though I'm sure you're not drinking it right now). Don't lie down too soon after a big meal and if you do go to bed, prop yourself up a bit so you're not lying flat.

I hope it passes for you soon

I ate a truck load of Reni tablets and drank heaps of milk,you can buy over the counter heartburn liquids,but the chemists will tell you what you can take ,and sleeping up right helps alot too.

I was also recommended to try humbug lollies. My friend swears by them for heartburn

I had heartburn very bad during all my pregnancies. My last pregnancy was the worst esp in third trimester - i used to dread going to bed.

Eat slowly.
    Drink a glass of milk about 1hr b4 bed
    Spearmint Rennies - stock up on them. I had a pack in the car, in my handbag, on the kitchen sink - everywhere. They really saved my day.

i suffer from heartburn aswell... milk is my best friend

REN I suffered heartburn daily up until I saw Heather. When are you seeing her again? Get her to do something about it. I have had it a few times since seeing her but now I manage it by not drinking ANYTHING for 30mins before & 30mins after a meal. That has been my biggest saviour. I didn't find out about that remedy until I was about 16wks so I'm not sure if that'll cure it in the 1st trimester. Also peppermint tea helps. But from memory you don't like peppermint??

Thanks everyone for your advice and help! I didn't have it all weekend but Friday it was really annoying for me..... it comes and goes.... i can have none for days then wham!!
    I have been drinking more milk and had some before bed last night and felt good!!

I thought the fruit tingles were good for the nausea? I have heaps of fruit tingles so i'll keep eating them just trying to go easy on sugar so i don't get diabetes!! eek!

next time my heartburn hits, i'll try everything you all have said, thank you

A freind who has had 3 bubs told me her remedy:
    She disolves one teaspoon on Bi-carb soda in a shot glass with some water - then she shots it down and follows it with a glass of milk - she says it waork 100% of the time. And bi carb is totally natural so no harm to bubs. She did say it tasts TERRIBLE but does the trick eveytime.

I second (or third lol) Fruit TIngles. Actually I have some sitting next to me right now LOL!

BLEH bi-carb... yep it would work though because thats mainly whats in fruit tingles (its what makes them tingle I believe). If you're going to try a bi-carb drink, I would go with Salvitol. Tastes way better than plain bi-carb too! I use it for nausea as well, really picks me up when I can't handle much in my stomach and takes the nausea away. I don't use it too often though, but I am 99% sure it is completely safe (well Bubble is still here, healthy and active as ever and I've been using it for nausea, and then heartburn, since 8 weeks!).

Milk actually causes heartburn and reflux in me (PITa cos I'm craving milk ). Also things like onions, tomatoes, and garlic set me off every time. Another PITA cos I want lasagne!!!!!!!!!!!

I can sympathise with you, I have had HB since week 12 and it seems to be getting worse. I was tolerating it up untill week 22 when I started mylanta and i'm now on zantac (which is not reccommended in first tri) I found tomatoes was one of my biggest triggers, also spicy foods, fizzy drinks, my in laws tea, (i'm fine with my own tea). I hope it passes for you. I found milk helped.

Awww Ren I am starting to get hit with the heartburn again too. If it gets too bad, go to your doctor and see if you can get a script for Pariet, I waited until 28 weeks with Noah to ask for something and wish I hadn't. Not sure if it is a 1st trimester safe drug but is worth a shot to ask.

I also agree with the fruit tingles if it is not too bad. Water and milk can make heartburn worse but it fools you in giving you that instant relief after drinking it.

Good luck!!!

my in laws tea
    or is it the inlaws!?!?!

I lived on Rennie tablets they worked instantly!!!

So Rennie tablets are safe in 1st trimester?? I wasn't sure.....?

Well I haven't had any heartburn since Friday!!! (YAY!) But i won't speak too soon....

Yes, rennie tabs are most defn safe......ask your pharmacist for peace of mind when you buy them.....