Thread: Need assurance

Unhappy Need assurance

I have a subseptate uterus, i found out in a u/s i had before i was pregnant, i went online and researched it... Most sites said - can't carry full term - high rate of misscarriages... This has just added to my fear amensly as i am 6weeks today, and i don't want anything happening to my baby... Does anyone know anymore about subseptate uterus - and have any advice on how to stop my worring,
    Cass

Hi Cassie

I recently read a study about this - here's the reference:
    A comparative study of the morphology of congenital uterine anomalies in women with and without a history of recurrent first trimester miscarriage
    R. Salim, L. Regan, B. Woelfer, M. Backos and D. Jurkovic
    Human Reproduction, Vol. 18, No. 1, 162-166, January 2003

If you do an internet search for this then you can get the whole of the paper for free. I looked at a few other sites as well just to double-check it.

Basically it said that yes, you do have a higher-than-usual chance of miscarriage, but even a higher-than-usual chance isn't that high. I think the figures quoted are around 15% in the first trimester, after that it goes to "normal" - yes, this is a lot higher than your usual risk group, but it's still not all that high (for example, you have an 85% chance of not miscarrying - and that chance gets higher after the first trimester). I know it's easy to say it's not all that high, and you must be very worried, but I do hope you take heart from this! Also I couldn't find if that was 15% overall, or 15% in the over-30s with a smaller chance in younger women... so it may not be as high as 15% anyway.

You can carry full-term, but will probably have monitoring to make sure you and bubs are OK as a precaution - it's more about you after the first trimester than what is happening to the baby.

Best of luck to you for the rest of your pregnancy, I hope that in another couple of months you can start to relax a bit more about it.

Thank you Ryn, That reassured me a little...