Thread: no heartbeat?

maddy138 Guest

Default no heartbeat?

Hi everyone

I went to my first ob appointment today and I am 12 wks on Thurs. He used the doppler to try to find the heartbeat but it just wasn't there. He didn't seem concerned, but of course I am now freaking out. I have still been having ms and my bb are sore so do you think I should be worried? I'm having the scan for downs syndrome on Friday so hopefully I will see the heatbeat then.

*TamaraP* Guest

I have heard that using a doppler before a certain stage isn't really reliable and you shouldn't stress if you don't hear a heart beat. I am sure everything is fine and your scan on Friday will be fine... (((hugs)))

mummymeegs Guest

Maddy try not to worry! I know that you must be beside yourself atm... Big hugs to you.. Tamara is right.. they are not always reliable. Enjoy your scan!!!

They still haven't been able to hear a HB with a doppler with this baby. She moves around too much!! Also I have an anterior placenta which is why they can't hear it earlier in PG. When I was at my OB appt at the hospital at 16 weeks she was unable to get a HB on this baby and put a u/s on and could see baby moving around & a HB but was unable to even measure it because this baby was too active. HTH!

When pregnant with my DD, at one of my appointments with my GP, he spent half an hour looking for a hearbeat. He was about to write our a referral for a scan, then tried one last time and found it. Hopefully your bubba is just playing a bit of hide and seek. Goodluck with your appointment on Friday Maddy, hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    lotsa hugs,
    Nic

Yeh, Ive heard they only unsually use the doppler after around 16 weeks as any earlier with that device it is hard to find or hear a heartbeat. I didnt have one used until i was 20 weeks. Dont stress, im sure everything is fine.

It can be very hard to find at 12 weeks.
    I rented a doppler at 12 weeks with this bub and the first time I looked it took me nearly 1/2 hour and alot of repositioning myself to find it. Not many doctors are willing to spend that long looking, but at that early stage that's what it generally takes.
    Don't worry I'm sure everything is fine.

Please dont be too concerned, I am a midwife and I can tell you I dont go near anybody with a doppler unless they are over 14 weeks, and I dont use a doppler on the first appointment, your little cherub is so small and has so much room to move around it is very hard to find at this stage.
    You still have pregnancy symptoms and that is an encouraging sign, there is no reason to think otherwise
    Try not to stress too much because I know at your next appointment you will hear a lovely strong heartbeat

maddy138 Guest

Thanks everyone. I felt very positive when I went for my scan today and yes everthing is fine. So amazing to see our little baby and see it's little heart beating and arms and legs moving.

I was the same maddy138! I went at 11 or 12 weeks and the midwife actually asked me if I would be too stressed if she tried to look for the HB and couldn't find it. I said I'd be fine and she looked but couldn't find it. So its fairly common. That's great that your scan went well. You must be so happy!

That's great news - must be a huge relief for you.

Glad your scan went well!