Thread: Normal pains during 1st trimester

Default Normal pains during 1st trimester

All - what pains are typically 'normal' during the first trimester?

I have the standard period type cramping, as well as sharp pains every now and then, alternating sides.

Is lower pelvic pain normal?

I can't remember exactly when I got them - a couple of different time throughout the pregnancy - but the round ligament pains I got were excruciating. I even went to the hospital at one stage they were so bad and I was worried it was something going wrong. You can google it to find more information.

I got lots of period type cramping for the first 8-10 weeks plus sharper stitch like pains. There is alot of stretching and growing going on - lots of people get them and they are perfectly normal - if stressful at the time!

I should add tho the pains/cramps were not as bad as my usual period pains - a lot more dull and achey. If you are in actual pain or have associated bleeding you should see your doc. I took panadol a few times and used a warm (not hot) heat pack to ease the ache - especially to sleep at night.

Thanks guys - that's very reassuring.

so hard to know what to expect 1st time around.

Hi and Congrats!
    I think we are in the same belly buddies group!
    I have also been having period-type pains. They started when i was about 3w3d and were quite bad for a few days. I also had some stitch pain, especially on the left side. I went to the Dr and he sent me for a hcg test to make sure levels were rising as they should, which they are. I have also done quite a bit of research on it and it turns out it is VERY normal to experience this type of pain. Obviously is it gets worse or is associated with bleeding, then head straight to the Dr but please don't worry yourself about it as stress is NOT GOOD for you right now! This is my second bub and this pregnancy is already feeling completely different to my first! Lots of funny pains going on! Almost feels like butterflies are fluttering around in my uterus! Very strange feeling!
    Goodluck!!!
    Look forward to sharing this wonderful experience with you!
    x

iv just had for the last couple days an achy pain like went u pull a muscle and it aches after but only on my right side so have been abit worried it could mean its ectopic or something..it doesnt really hurt eg sharp pains etc more just achy

any ideas?

Monica, most of my round ligament pain was on the right side. I'm not diagnosing yours, mind you, but it might be worth looking up.