Thread: Nuchal fold thickness

Default Nuchal fold thickness

Does anyone know if there is a "normal" range for nuchal fold thickness, or if whatever normal is varies from baby to baby, depending on mum's age etc? I know they take the blood test into account as well when assessing risks, but is there a range for fold thickness that would indicate that unless you had really bad blood test results, you'd be low risk?

Hi Lulu,

I was told at my ultrasound anything under 1.4mm was normal, but then again I have a friend who's babies both had a thickness of 2.8mm and neither have down syndrome. So I guess it is like everything it depends on the baby!!!

The u/s lady told me that anything under 3 was considered low risk.

deedeeze Guest

It depends on the age of the baby. When the baby is smaller (11 weeks) then the NT should be less.

I had my scan recently and my 13 week bubs had a NT of 1.6mm which was normal. Taken with my blood results I have a 1:2241 chance that the baby has Downs.

I had my NT scan at 12+4 and the Nuchal thickness was 1.5mm and she said that was totally normal...... I was also told that anything under 3 was considered low risk... My thickness plus my bloods gave me a combined risk of 1:23000

Lulu have you had your 12 weeks scan yet ?

It doesn't always go on the thickness of the NF it's the mothers age and also the BT they do. The thickness for this baby was 1:4 but once they did the blood work my risk came back 1:294.

Hi Michelle. Had my scan yesterday. Started at 1:212 cos I'm 36 but after the scan and blood work ended up with a risk of 1:4219. So, needless to say we're both very relieved. I remember when you were waiting on your amnio results and I was not looking forward to having to go through that! For the record, Ed had a NF of 1.4

Lulu that is wonderful news. My heart did skip a beat when it saw 1:212 at first then saw the 1:4219.

Thanks Michelle. Such a relief to not have to worry about it now!!

Hi Caro. I'm going to see Simon Turner. He's expensive for that one appointment I mentioned, but the rest of the time he seems to be much the same as everybody else. I've had a difficult time getting to this point so DH and I agreed we'd rather spend the money paying an obstetrician we have complete confidence in than saving a couple of thousand going to someone else. In the whole scheme of things over this baby's life, the extra fees will be pretty irrelevant. Not a very exciting way to spend the baby bonus though!!!

I live in Wembley. How about you?
    Last edited by LuluHB; October 19th, 2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Cos I've got a mushy preg head!!

wow those OB fees are huge!!!!

Caro. I'm in the Swan Valley aswell (henley brook)

small world!

Caro: Tried to email you, but I don't have MSN

My email addy is [email protected]

Hope to hear from you

P.S. Sorry to hi-jack your thread Lulu.