Thread: Nuchal translucency test - when did you have it?

Fee Guest

Default Nuchal translucency test - when did you have it?

I had my first appt with my OB when I was 9w6d. I also had an internal scan.

I am now booked in for a further scan on 19 January. This is when I'll have the NT test (I'm pretty sure). I will be 13w6d. I read that the NT test can be done as early as 10w3d, but it is more accurate when performed after 11w3d and before 13w6d. Apparently after 14w, the lymph system of the baby develops, making the fluid naturally drain away, meaning the test can no longer be done.

So I'm cutting it pretty fine - as I said I'll be 13w6d when I have the scan done. Do you think it's okay?

The receptionist booked me in for the scan so she didn't know how many weeks I was etc.

I don't know if I'm worrying for nothing. Maybe I should ring the midwife just to check. 8-[

Check with the midwife and also at the u/s place as they should know when the best time to measure the Nuchal fold.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi-j
    Check with the midwife and also at the u/s place as they should know when the best time to measure the Nuchal fold.
    My u/s will just be done in my OB's office. So I'll just ring back and ask them to check.

It's just that the OB and midwife did not tell me which date to book in for. They just said in a few weeks. So when I went to the receptionist to pay I just told her I had to book in for my next u/s and she just picked any old date!

Fee Guest

Yeah it's all in the one spot for me too Fletch. Very handy. My OB has all the scanning equipment in his offices. His wife is actually the ultrasound guru and will be doing my scan. And the pathology place is just down the hall. This is all attached to the hospital. All on the one level!

I think I will just call my OB's office to check dates.

Fee, have you called? to be on the safe side i'd be asking for an earlier u/s.

Fee Guest

I just called my OB's office and spoke to the receptionist. I explained my situation and she ended up putting me through to OB himself! He's very nice though.

He explained that it's a carefully calculated date and that they try to see you at the very end of the necessary timeframe as possible. He said the bigger the baby the better the results and they try to get the baby as close to 85mm as possible (I think this was the measurement).

So all is good!

I feel a bit silly now! So my scan is still set for 2 weeks.

I had my NT scan done with Nicholas @ 13 weeks 2 days.

Good luck with your scan in 2 weeks Fee.

Glad to hear you spoke to your OB Fee, you must feel a lot more relieved now?